Tone and volume pots...are they the same?

Hi all, you're gonna have to excuse my ignorance again but....I just bought a pair of volume and tone pots off the intraweb and they look exactly the same to me! Are they basically the same? I have no electrical knowledge further than just soldering a piezo to an output jack, but I take it the pot's work by increasing / decreasing resistance in the circuit? I really only want to fit a volume one at this stage, so was wondering if they both do the same job? Any advice would be gratefully recieved. Cheers all.

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks for the help guys! From the info you've given me and the links in Naz's reply, I've worked out I have an audio and a linear pot. The audio is now fitted as a volume in my first CBG and although it seems I probably could use the linear one as volume also, I think I will save it to use as a tone in a future build. They are pretty cheap after-all!!
    Thanks again guys, I knew I could rely on 'The Nation'.
  • the short and long yes. but there are diffent kinds of pots

for the most part you want 250k for single coil and 500k for humbuckers but as far as a tone and volume i try to use the exact same pot on a given guitar no matter what the value or if its audio tapper or lienier tapper.
  • Nice one Naz, thanks for those links they look really useful. I will study them in my lunch-break. Will have a look at the pots also as I deffo remember seeing numbers printed on them, but can't remember what they are. Cheers.
This reply was deleted.