Is the use of a zero fret considered good or bad? Any thoughts???

Views: 2721

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm just doing my first fretted neck, and was glad to see this. I have already decided to use a nut, but will see how that goes! I think the cotterpins are a great idea. If you split them, you could just glue the flat side to the finger board? Thanks
I am not really sold on the cotter pin idea because of my first ever cbg - after 6 months, I lost several cotter pin frets which made the CBG fretless, so I gave in and bought fretwire. funny thing now is the desirable idea of movable frets - so perhaps I need to rethink my approach....

Bluesheart said:
I'm just doing my first fretted neck, and was glad to see this. I have already decided to use a nut, but will see how that goes! I think the cotterpins are a great idea. If you split them, you could just glue the flat side to the finger board? Thanks
I am using split cotter pins to dress the tops of my bridges with good results too!

Bluesheart said:
I cut a ditch with my miter saw first so the cotter pin has somewhere to nestle. Keeps them nice and square. I'd use 2-part epoxy next time, the crazy glue is not a good long-term adhesive for frets. But for a nut/zero fret, crazy glue holds enough to keep it from slipping side to side. Mostly the string tension is holding it in place.

Bluesheart said:
What about using one of those real small dia. long bolts for a 0 fret ... would keep the string from slipping side to side ... just an idea ???
If you used a small bolt it is not a "zero fret" because different diameter strings will set a different heights on the bolt. When using a zero fret you cut a guide (like a nut that has slots cut lower than the top of the zero fret) to keep the strings from sliding side to side. a small bolt is a bridge because it established both string height and lateral position on the neck....

StarGeezers said:
What about using one of those real small dia. long bolts for a 0 fret ... would keep the string from slipping side to side ... just an idea ???
WS, Thinking of using that and a nut ... Don't different size strings sit differently on a 0 Fret???

When you use a zero fret, the strings rests on the fret so that the spacing between the bottom of each string and the fretboard is exactly the same. Hand cutting nuts can end up with strings not perfectly level without a lot of trials.... What you may be calling a "nut" is really a spacer if you are using a zero fret because the last thing that the strings contact on the headstock end of the neck is the zero fret, so it is the nut. hope that helps... Sam
StarGeezers said:
WS, Thinking of using that and a nut ... Don't different size strings sit differently on a 0 Fret???
A fret is a fret. And a nut is a nut. Which can be used together with the nut serving as a lateral string spacer.
Po-tay-to, Po-ta-to .... call it what you want... it works great....

jim said:
A fret is a fret. And a nut is a nut. Which can be used together with the nut serving as a lateral string spacer.
I realize this is an old post, but I can't resist my 2 cents. In older days, zero frets for some reason got a bad rap for being used on cheap guitars. The only cheap "playable" ones had it, like Harmony and Silvertone. A zero fret eliminates a large part of setup. Brilliant! Gretch used a zero fret on their Country Gentleman guitars. These are some of the more expensive and beautiful sounding instruments ever built. I know this first hand. One can almost emulate the human voice with one of these things! As a "regular" guitar repairman and player, I've been extremely surprised that zero frets are the exception and not the norm....

Mark aka. Junk Box Instruments said:
There are good reasons why a zero fret is better than a nut if you're looking for a low action for regular fretted playing. They're certainly not an inferior compromise. If you think about it, a fret that is stoned level with the rest of the frets is as low as you can sensibly go. And, as has been mentioned, a zero fret is a bit like what you get when you use a capo. Action further up the neck is essentially a matter of bridge height and neck angle and relief - if you're relying on nut adjustments to get a usable action in the middle of the neck then one of those three things is probably some way off optimal. Of course, on a CBG, with no truss rod and no neck angle adjustment, there are limits on what you can do. But, even so, zero fret is still the best bet. Among other reasons, it's a much more reliable way to get a reliably usable low action than trying to cut and file individual slots in a nut, which can be hit and miss.
I'm now pretty settled on using zero fret designs unless I need a very high action for slide-only playing. If you want a rather better authority than me then look to Gretsch, who use zero frets on all their (far from cheap) guitars.
Zero frets work GREAT on my headless guitars!

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 21. 11 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

CB Bass Guitar

Started by Mi Rankin in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Justin Stanchfield Jan 27. 5 Replies

Latest Activity

A.D.EKER commented on Dar Stellabotta's video
Thumbnail

A Cigar Box Guitar Six Stringer Built by Louie Lamanna

"i See Your ready to Blow away the GRAND STADIUM ! tree strings more of DAR DELIGHT !! Shine Girl !…"
7 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

Im Troubled (Tribute) Mc K Morganfield by BCB - A.D .Eker 2024.

"Thank you for the kind comments Doug! Glad you liked the Picture !"
7 hours ago
BrianQ. commented on Dar Stellabotta's video
11 hours ago
BrianQ. liked Dar Stellabotta's video
11 hours ago
Southern Ray commented on Southern Ray's photo
Thumbnail

Project Punch!

" Thank ya again Keith!"
13 hours ago
Southern Ray commented on Southern Ray's photo
Thumbnail

Punch Project!

" Thank Ya Keith!"
13 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on AGP #'s photo
Thumbnail

AGP #527 - ''Led-Zep 2''

"This build really strung you along Alan! Reminded me of all my fishing line experiments; a lot of…"
15 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

Im Troubled (Tribute) Mc K Morganfield by BCB - A.D .Eker 2024.

"Diggin’ the slow blues. I like that last pic Andries! Look at all those cool guitars. Yeah!!!"
15 hours ago
Dar Stellabotta posted a video

A Cigar Box Guitar Six Stringer Built by Louie Lamanna

This video is the unboxing and the demonstration of a beautiful, six stringer built by Louie Lamanna. Join Louie and I June 15 at the second annual Pittsburg...
16 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

Hail the Resurrection Day: 2-String Violin Chugger Cigar Box Guitar

"Happy Easter to you too Andries! The passion is definitely in full swing. Turns out I’m…"
17 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

Hail the Resurrection Day: 2-String Violin Chugger Cigar Box Guitar

"Happy Easter Doug ! the Passion is in full swing !"
17 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on Ricky D's photo
17 hours ago

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->