A Cigar Box Nation Featured Discussion. 

I am using a Macanudo paper covered box. I like the way the box looks now, I am going to use metal corner protectors. I was not going to put any finish on the box itself. Is that ok or is it preferred to put a finish on it? If it is preferred to put a finish what is the best and easiest to use? 

Thanks

(Pictured below:  This is what happens to an unprotected cigar box guitar that was played for two decades.  -Cigar Box Nation staff)

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• On all of my builds, I have used three coats of a good quality satin spray lacquer on the box.  I used 6 coats of gloss spray lacquer on the necks.  Pictures of all of my builds have been posted.

• All thow the played relic looks great to me ! if it sounds as well as it looks ! its two for the price of one , But i resently found the color version first film by ELVIS Presley , and looking at it i notist how strange his guitar looked, after some ,browsing true the Net ,i found this picture3895320767?profile=RESIZE_710x

and if you look you see that the guitar body is covered whit leather and inbossed in a artistic way ,whit leaves lettering and acorns, maybee this old time vintage way of protecting your instrument is a way to reinstall tradition whit a Cigarbox guitar !! Thanks for posting kind greeeeettssszz A.D.

• I have used spray can lacquer with successful results. Multiple light coats seem to work well. Protects the paper labels and it brings out the color in the wood as well.

• I found regular modpodge will get sticky in hot humid weather. I now use the modpodge for furniture and it holds up much better. For those of us who live in the Midwest it’s tough to use urathane in closed quarters during the winter.
    • Maybe wipe on poly ( regular oil based poly cut 50/50 with odorless mineral spirits ) ... Or tru oil for gun stocks..

• This has 2 coats of spar varnish on it. I've also used water based urethane on others without any problems.

3763642768?profile=RESIZE_710x

• Congratulations, Jack.  Your great discussion has been added to the Cigar Box Nation FEATURES tab and will be part of today's email blast!

We've added a top photo showing what happens when no finish is placed on a paper covered box.

Thanks for the great question!!!

• Hard to get all three showing a reflection on the surface (and not) but here ya go.... for each of the finishes I followed and did the recommendations on the labels, in terms of number of coats and sanding. 

3884724983?profile=RESIZE_710x3884728124?profile=RESIZE_710x

• Hi, the Shellac I am familiar with is normally very thin and runny, unless I mix it to a thicker consistency. Also it has a colour blond or orange, so consider that effect on your paper.

I would go for a spray application for a more even finish, myself.

Taff

This reply was deleted.