Hi all of you builders of funky instruments,

I have this pretty nougat tin from France lying around here and it yearns to be made into some kind of stringed instrument. I’m thinking short scale guitar with nylon strings, either a four stringer or a six stringer with three double courses tuned like a three stringer...

I don’t know yet whether I’ll make it a neck-through or even a “neck-around” (something like this:) I have only built instruments with wooden boxes so far and never worked with a tin – and that’s where my question comes in:

How do I reinforce this thing so that the pressure of the strings doesn’t cave in the fairly thin and flexible lid without dampening the vibration of the lid too much? How do you reinforce your tins?

All kinds of advice (and, even better: pictures) greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Hans

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks for sharing and it looks great!!!

• Mission accomplished! The neck-around six string tin guitar is finished! And she sounds really good.

Thanks so much for all the great advice, encouragement and inspiration, guys! And for the fun I had with this thread.

I just posted lots of pictures and a blog post about this sweet guitar...

• It came out terrific Hans. Congrats!
  • Thanks, guys!

I don't sell my guitars, JB, I just buid them for my own pleasure. But I'm honored that you start thinking about paypal when seeing my guitar...

• :) :) 

• Awesome work Hans, looks fantastic!

• Very cool!!! I'm paypal ready :) :) 

• Almost done:306696654?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

The only thing left to do is setting up the action by lowering the bridge and filing two of the slots in the nut a little deeper... And waiting for those nylon strings to get used to the tension so they stay in tune for more than five minutes...

Sounds nice!

More pictures and details soon.

• A really classy looking guitar, well done

Taff

• It's looking really good Hans!

This reply was deleted.