SCROLL DOWN FOR THE RULES, BUT FIRST, READ THIS VERY IMPORTANT REMINDER:

and then do this...

THE 2021 THROWBACK HOLIDAY BUILD-OFF!

We want you to use your imagination & creativity to build a stringed instrument that could have been given as a gift 100 years ago.  Here's a few ideas (they are not required...only suggestions):

• Use an antique cigar box to make the instrument look authentic
  • Build a historic instrument from our Free Plans Page
  • Use 100 year old stories from your area to influence your instrument
  • Be inspired by the instruments of the Cigar Box Guitar Museum (photos here)

Prizes:

Top three entries will win $125 gift certificates to CBGitty.com

Five runners-up will receive $25 gift certificates to CBGitty.com

Judges:  Ben "Gitty" Baker & Shane Speal

Here's the rules:

1.  Build your own stringed musical instrument inspired by the past.  If you lived 100 years ago and were short on money, what stringed instrument would you build as a Christmas/holiday gift?

2.  Post three (3) photos below.  Optional: You can add one (1) demo video, too.  Don't forget the instructions for posting pics.  This is an old website and it can be a little temperamental!

3. Add a one (1) paragraph description with your photo entry.  This is where you can influence the judges on why you think your entry is a Throwback Holiday type of instrument.

3.  Shake, stir, repeat.  (Yes, you can submit more than one entry!)

4.  Submissions that won previous Cigar Box Nation contests are ineligible.  

5. Contest runs Nov 12 - Dec 31, 2021.  Winners announced Jan 7, 2022 on the Gitty Gang Show broadcast.

Views: 5490

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

My dad would have turned 100 this year if he were still with us. Sadly he passed away in 1979.

One of my strongest memories of him was when he would wake up the family singing an old german hymn called "Wachet Auf"(literally wake up!) horribly off key. If I had been his father, I could have made this diddley bow for him- out an imperfect table leg- to hit the right notes!

Great idea, sounds like a blast and I will share this on FB.

SD

It was 1919 and my brother just returned form the Western Front.  He was now blind, the victim of a chlorine gas attack by the Germans.  Before he left I made a 3 string guitar for him to play when the boredom arose in the trenches.  When he came home, he brought it back.  It showed the wear and tear of playing, and being in a war zone.  But it was different-- it now had an electric pickup which I had never seen before.  My brother told me of the day he was attacked and how he drifted off and through the fog saw a man.  His name was Leo.  A quiet individual who picked up his guitar and said to him " I can make this better". He disappeared in the darkness and returned the following day.  He handed his 3 string back to him and said "Play it loud my friend"....

This is Francine, build #21. I built this one for Mr. Roberto Vasquez of Fontana, California as part of a "Back to Basics" themed CBG exchange organized among a bunch of builders. When I thought of "back to basics" I though repurposed/scavenged parts and a relic look. The box, as near as I can tell, is about 100 years old and if you look closely you can see the worm holes (actually made by beetles, not worms) that I filled with wax. The tuners are mismatched vintage machines from the local music store's trash. The jack plate is an inventory tag from Kelsey Hayes, a long gone Detroit wheel manufacturer. The sound hole is, I think, a screen from an industrial water faucet. The bridge is an extremely old ruler, the black accent paint crumbling off. The tail piece is an antique tin license plate topper that says "Play Safe, Be Careful", I flipped it over though because the red didn't match the color scheme... and besides... who really wants to play safe? lol

This is a very authentic Christmas gift. It may not have been given 100 years ago but it has been given within the last 100 years. This in one of a series of cookie tin Banjoleles that I have bilt over the years.

My Mom always told me “It’s what is on the inside that counts”.

Well, here is your proof. This has everything you will need to stay warm on a December night.

Always be prepared! 

Nice job on vintage build.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 21. 11 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

CB Bass Guitar

Started by Mi Rankin in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Justin Stanchfield Jan 27. 5 Replies

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->