I've been building and playing for about 3 years now. I mostly play 4 string guitars because that is what Im most familure with and there are lots of places to find uke tabs.

At this stage on 3 stingers  I've mastered the  major, minor and 7th chords and I can play all kinds of shuffles but I still feel very limited on a three string.

I've seen some amazing 3 string videos here and would love to learn some more interesting arraingements.

Is there a source for 3 string Tabs?

Are anyone of the many advanced players out there willing to share some of there top shelf licks and song arraingements in an Ebook?

I know The CB Nation is always making E albums.  How about a book to inspire floundering players like myself.

Views: 3857

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Patrick,

I've been playing 6-string guitar since I was 17. I'm 54 now. I've been playing 3 and 4 stringed CBGs for the last 3 years. I usually play in 151, 153, and 147 (Keni Lee's A-D-F# with movable chord shapes). I can assure you, you can chord these things. If you don't believe me, check out my vids, especially my latest. Listen to the music on my Profile page. Yes, you are often playing chord fragments. Yes, you may have to learn to be a bit more nimble, in both your fingering and your thought processes. But you can play bass notes,either as drones, or as single note runs. I am making a conscious attempt to show what 3- and 4-stringed guitars can do, well beyond simple I-IV-V bar chords. I can also assure you, your 6-string playing will never be the same; it will improve because you've wasted your time farting around on with the limitations of a 3-banger. I'm with turtle and Robert on this one. Turtle plays some amazing stuff he calls boxgrass, and I can guar-on-dam-tee he's frequently chording his 3-stringers, because he comes from a banjo background.

Wouldn't A-D-F# also be considered the 513 for Dmaj?

Completely agree that the extra work of figuring out the 3 string definitely changes the approach to 6 string playing.

Turtle does some interesting things when he's playing...leaves me feeling like Timmy most of the time.

robert,

You're correct. I was not thinking clearly when I wrote that, suffering after an evening of self-induced revelry. But it is an amazingly versatile tuning; I'm still exploring it. 

I get it Ron, and I can see that my original post could have been a little more subtle. These guitars are clearly not useless for playing chords, that was a silly thing to say. I guess what I meant was there not much use to me, an important distinction that I regret leaving out.

Chord fragments are not chords though and the clear limitations of the instrument, while endearing, limit the music that you can make with it. That's fair enough, I can't play Beethoven's ninth on my 6 string resonator either. It's just that I think if you're trying to make interesting and accurate solo arrangements for a wide variety of tunes you're better off with an instrument more suited to that task.

Bet you can play the ending of the 9th...

Patrick, 

No worries, I probably came off sounding cranky myself. I do understand where you're coming from, as sometimes I find myself wishing for a bit more bass oomph, for example. As my dad and granddad used to say "The proper tool for the job." But then I decided awhile back, as someone who has written lots of poetry in lots of forms, that a 3-stringer is to haiku what a 6-stringer is to blank verse; once you accept the limitations of the form, then your job is to figure out how to transcend the limitations, and create beauty. But, yeah, sometimes I still wish for more and deeper bass notes. Which is why I keep buying guitars…also, because my wife isn't willing to house a complete orchestra, and the only Beethoven's Fifth she'll tolerate comes in a bottle :-) .

I've been tuning my 3-string slide instrument to G#-b-e. That's the top three strings of so-called Vastopol tuning. Just put the top 3 strings of a standard set on the instrument, but tune the G string up to G#. The unwound B and E strings are tuned like "standard" tuning--which helps you to learn regular guitar while practicing this.

This is the top half of "open E" tuning, which is pretty standard for slide players so they can chord by just laying the slide across the strings.

I'll try to upload a pdf of the music and tabs for "Amazing Grace" played this way and a computer-generated audio to give you an idea how it sounds. (Sorry I don't have a better recording.)

TN

Attachments:

A point to remember with 3 string tabs written for a IVI tuned device is that they will work with any other IVI device. It does not have to be the same key. Thus, my DAD tabs will also work for EBE etc.  It the relationships that matter, not the exact frequency of the notes.

speaking of writing tabs. I came up with this tab generator speadsheet. Put the musical notes in the top section and the tabs appear in the bottom. I wrote it specifically for DAD, but the same tabs work with any IVI tuning

Attachments:

Cool, thanks for posting the tab generator.

http://youtu.be/c3J9M7WQJ1E

Well Rob, I've listened to your uke playing and I suspect anything I can add would be a bit simple by your standards. You've done some beautiful stuff! Anyway some of the responses to your post suggest there might be some folks who could be helped by my meager knowledge. I don't really know how to post tabs but I've taught a bunch of people to play songs on 3 stringers and I'm more than willing to show how I put arrangements together. Don't know a bunch of slide blues but old trad and gospel is where my head's at right now.

Well done Jim, that's a lovely arrangement. Got me thinking, maybe I just have to try a little harder eh.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

Latest Activity

Bernie Edwards commented on Randy S. Bretz's photo
Thumbnail

Off the Bench !

"The cherries make it really even more special!  Great project with a unique and special result!"
3 hours ago
Crazed Fandango replied to Rich Butters's discussion UK - Best Place to Buy Cigar Box's
4 hours ago
Crazed Fandango commented on David Woodman 's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0749

"Amazing!"
4 hours ago
Crazed Fandango liked David Woodman 's photo
4 hours ago
Crazed Fandango posted a photo
4 hours ago
Rich Butters posted a discussion

UK - Best Place to Buy Cigar Box's

Hi all, I am living in Thailand and building CBGs for about a year.  I will be returning to the UK…See More
6 hours ago
Rob (Uker) Porras commented on Randy S. Bretz's photo
Thumbnail

Off the Bench !

"Im assuming the wood is cherry?"
8 hours ago
Rob (Uker) Porras commented on Randy S. Bretz's photo
Thumbnail

Off the Bench !

"Wow wee!!! That is gorgeous!! "
8 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

Up the Hill A D Eker 2024

"thanks kale !yup that shaker sure keeps the groove going , and this LACE is my fender in the CBG…"
12 hours ago
AGP # liked Ghostbuttons's photo
13 hours ago
AGP # commented on Randy S. Bretz's photo
Thumbnail

Off the Bench !

"A while in the making, But!, well worth the wait, another outstanding one off Randy Bretz Build,…"
13 hours ago
AGP # liked Randy S. Bretz's photo
13 hours ago

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->