I'm attempting to make a CBG as a gift. The box I want to use has a lovely decal across the top and wraps around the sides. What's the best way to protect it from tearing when cutting the notch for the neck? The box has a nice finish but should I apply some kind of sealant to protect the sticker before final assembly? Finally, the lid has a routed edge. How do I compensate for that in order to bring the neck flush to the top? Thanks in advance. BB

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• 2nd vote for scoring/cutting the notch in  the label with an xacto knife. 

To protect the final product on boxes with labels, I also poly or lacquer over them and superglue any edges that are lifting.

• Scoring the decal with a razor knife along the cut line also helps with the tearing.

• Put a old towel or blanket down on your bench, the easiest way to scuff these things up is as you're finishing em off. It is a nice box
  • yup....looks like your on your way....

• Masking tape for delicate surfaces should do for your cutting, the lines should be easier to see too. As for a protective finish, most use gloss spray lacquer for a nice finish, i usually spray the box with a couple of coats to keep the surface clean during building.   (-: 

• Can you put a picture up of the box please...and I'll try and help with the sticker business....

• Thanks for the replies. Picture attached. Think I had an "a-ha" moment regarding the lid. Cutting a notch in the very top takes care of the routed edge. Now to notch the neck.

Wee Peter

image.jpg

• 306074299?profile=originalPay attention to the different cuts....hope this helps!

• This makes no sense to me whatsoever....
This reply was deleted.