Looking at fret measurements from StewMac, it seems that if using metric, fractions of mm are virtually impossible to place correctly.

Because mm's are so small, I think that a simple '+/-   .5mm is close enough on a steel.
Fret #9   (10.135mm( becomes 10mm

Fret #10 becomes  (10.969mm)  11mm

Thoughts?

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• A Bone or synthetic nut might fit with some modification, maybe a time to stretch out & try something different? Maybe share a pic, hard to say without seeing it? Define Scale dimension?

• "Define Scale dimension"

Sorry, it was late. I was trying to say I was trying to find the correct datum point for the nut/fretboard interface...

• I measured my first couple of fretted guitars and they sound good, then I bought a fret template from Gitty which made the whole process so much easier.

https://www.cbgitty.com/tools-templates/fretting-tools-templates/la...

• I thought about  a template, but here's why I haven't got one, it gets a little weird.

I tell people..(only half jokingly) that I am obsessive/compulsive combined with A.D.D. That means I have laser focus for about 2 weeks to 2 months, then something shiny over there grabs my attention and I'm off chasing it. Not only that, but as I have mentioned several times before, I don't play guitar or read music (although when young, I took piano and played cello in jr. high for a couple semesters). Music never 'clicked' in my brain, but that was a long time ago. I am picking up more now that way back when. The build I'm noodling with now is the 2 string bass. I think i'll be able to figure a little of that out. 

On the other hand, the basic 2x4 plan is so easy that with practice, one could make a lap steel in one day easily.

• Jigs and templates are great thing to have and will save you time(as long as you grab the right one the first time), but you have to check them periodically to ensure that they haven't worn excessively and put you project off a bit.

Always place the bridge last encase you need to move it forward/backward a bit due to frets not in the exact place. Don't ask me how I know. ;)

• The slotted fretboard I ordered surprised me a little. It appears to have a 'zero' fret. I assume that's what it is, on the nut end, maybe a half inch in from the end. If so, I can just cut that off, right?

• Pull it out with a tool: 

3700248010?profile=RESIZE_710x

• No frets, it's just slotted. I'm trying to figure out the proper scale dimension.

• Hi James, if you cut the fingerboard off at the zero fret keep in mind that the scale length should start from the centre of that slot, which would be on the center of the fret crown, if it had a fret. 

Be careful that if you put a saw in the slot that is wider than the slot you could shorten the scale. Then again if the whole board is going to be fretless it will not matter.

Taff

• Actually, I think I figured it out. I'm gonna use the slot/position to set the nut....which is going to be all-thread with acorn nuts (for looks) on the end, so there is space under the nut. The nut will be set directly above the '0' fret.

This reply was deleted.