This cbg thing is crazy

You get to where you look at everything in connect with a CBG. I was out cleaning up along my road the other day and came across this Copenhagen lid someone had thrown out. I knew immediately the perfect place for it! This will be a three string with a 23.5" scale, fretted like a dulcimer. The lid is floating so it may act as little like a reso, but if not it's for looks anyway. The box is a brown Casa Torano. The neck is sapele, haven't decided on a fretboard yet. I think the bridge that sits on the lid will be a brass bolt.

sIMG_1120.JPG

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• As you see the box looks a little blotie around the holes and the copenhagen lid, I just put a little stain around those areas. Not sure why.
  • Paul,
    I spent 20 minutes or so with the slideshow feature -- looking at a lot of the pictures here. You are right. Some CBGs are reinforced and built heavy. Seeing some of the interiors of CBGs has made me realize that once I close the lid, the inner details won't matter.

The Copenhagen lid looks cool. For obvious reasons, a tobacco related resonator seems to make sense on a CBG. Did you use stain on the face of the box?
  • William, thanks for your comments. As to you question, about how the neck will be attached, I have to admit I'm kind of a build as I go builder. I have not really planned how I will do what. Now that you mention it, I figure I will re-enforce the ends and run a brace between them. Then epoxy/screw the neck on. It has worked well on my ukuleles and this is only a thee stringer, so it should be okay. Looking at pictures, I sometimes think people build CBGS much sturdier than manufactured guitars.

william E. Drumm said:
    That's one beautiful box, excellent job in design. The Copenhagen lid really compliments the color and form. As a "newbie" I'm always interested in neck attachments, without full through the box. Is this design screwed into a support inside the front of the box ?..Thanks for sharing, I envy your ability
    will
  • oh ME TOO - and "Garage sales" and "Salvation Army Stores" and "Dollar Stores" . . . . it's symptomatic of the disease.

Mark Werner said:
    Yeppers, I walk through hardware and thrift stores thinking "hmmm....resonator?, bridge?"
  • that sure is a beauty mr paul got lots of character in the looks department and gonna have great mojo in the sound department,great idea to use that lid fer reso compatitability. i likes it.
  • Yeppers, I walk through hardware and thrift stores thinking "hmmm....resonator?, bridge?"
  • nice design. Know what you mean about seeing a c.b.g. in almost everything.
  • Very nice
  • That is excellent. I am looking into making a reso from a tabacco tin myself, and you have given me lots of inspiration with your pics here, thank you many times......
  • I'm with all of you guys. no matter where i am i end up finding something on the ground that gets me thinking of a use for it. most of the time i just end up dropping it back on the ground because it would end up being useless. haha. there have been a few instances when i do find things though
This reply was deleted.