The "Anti-Body Guitar" by David Hopkins

The Anti-Body Guitar by David Hopkins

"About a year ago, I had about 2 dozen cigar boxes that I needed to clean out.  I didn't want to throw them away so I googled what to do with cigar boxes and landed on a cigarbox ukulele kit from C. B. Gitty.  I loved what I saw and order my first kit.  Loved it!  I went on to build 3 electric cigarbox ukuleles and discovered I just couldn't play them with the limited mobility in my hands.  But I loved building them!  Then I discovered your 3 string guitar kits!  I have built 4 of them, all with Gitty parts and each one a bit better than the last.  I can play them a bit.  

But it is my 8th build that I really want to share with you. (Top photo.) The idea was to use all my favorite Gitty cigar box parts and the knowledge I gained from building cigar box guitars to build a cigar box guitar... except eliminate the cigarbox!  I wanted the neck to be the central feature and to really show off the gold Humbucker and hard tail.   The rectangular voids in the "anti"-body of the guitar stand in for the cigar box that isn't there. 

With the mini-humbucker and the hard tail... this thing plays and sounds great!  It's extremely solid.  It is made of hard maple.  I love the way it turned out and wanted to share it with you guys.  I love CB Gitty.  You guys are great!

I'll be ordering my next batch of parts soon!  I have another fun one in mind."

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Beautiful!  Solves ever problem of having a corner or edge where it’s not comfortable to play.  Just put them all exactly where you want them. 

• Thanks Ducati Scotty.  You're right.  That definitely had a strong influence on the design.

• It takes a real artisan to make almost nothing look like really something.  Nice dovetails too!

• Awesome and creative contemporary design! 

I especially like the well thought out hidden wiring, colors and joinery. Kudos!

• Thanks Mark! It makes me happy that you noticed the things you noticed!
  • Cool little git.

• Very cool.   Here's my My first build from years ago ,  .. 

1719491962?profile=RESIZE_710x

• Wow! Really well done! I see the similarity in concept. I’ve got a “steampunk” idea for a guitar but yours takes it to another level. I get it. Very nice.
      • Thanx man , mine's more  "overalls" . yours is more "tuxedo" ;-) .  Steampunk? luv me some  of that . i've done a few steamers . check my pics , I think i even coined the phrase "farmpunk"  ;-) Great work , thanx for the kind words .

• Farmpunk!  That's exactly what it is!    you nailed it.

This reply was deleted.