After watching the YouTube videos for about six months, I pilfered a wooden box out of the supply drawer at work, stopped on the way home and bought a stick, and went to work.
The tuners are off an old cheap banjo I bought at a garage sale to hang on the wall. The nut is cut from an old wire brush with a Bakelite handle. I carved the Banjo bridge down and recut it for the right string spacing.
Here's the fun part. Probably at the same garage sale the banjo came from, I bought one of those Fisher-Price tape recorders with the big fat micophone and coiled cord. Out of curiosity, I tore it apart and zip tied the mic element against the back of the neck. Soldered it up and plugged it into a Fender Hot Rod amp. Plucked a string and gently eased the volume up. Eureka! Whoda thought?
I just wanted to thank everyone that posts on here. There were so many pitfalls I missed because of the great folks on here.
I made sure of a good break at the bridge. The mic element is liberally hot glued to the back of the neck. Filing a little, and checking alot, made sure I didn't make a sitar when grooving the nut and bridge. There were several more "better not do that" moments.
I have included some pics. It is just a stick and a box compared to some of the beautiful work posted on here, but it's mine and it plays like a dream. The tone is tasty and dirty, and the intonation is right on. Thanks, in no small part to you guys.

no1withamp.jpg

no1head.jpg

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• It is a looker, cool tuners. Great job! Started the next one yet?

• Of course I have! I have also started searching thrift shops for those crazy looking tape recorders. Maybe I will incorporate those big, fat, red knobs on the pots next time. Thanks for the kudos.

• A stick and a box works for me.  This looks great.

• Me too. Couldn't help thinking about some kid running home with a stick, a box, a pocketknife, and some screen wire.

• my wife thought i was nuts until i plugged in my first guit...after 18 months i not quite so obsessed but it's still a buzz when a new one gets launched...have fun ...

• Thanks Jabes. The next one was on the drawing board before the first was tuned up.

• It's a great moment when you plug the first one in and think "I don't believe it ......it actually works !"

Nice job !

• Exactly! Or when you check the 12th fret and the tuner lights up green again. The first was about getting the technical part down. Now to make one look good too. I will be spending alot of time picking sawdust out of the corners of my eyes. Totally hooked....

• So begins the addiction!!!

• perfect....

This reply was deleted.