Hey thought i'd get some input from the pros and rookies on what YOU hate and like......

likes....The sound thru the pickup when you get it soldered, stringing, intonating,playin it for the first time.getting the box cut and the neck fitting in,The smell of wood,they all smell unique,coming up with a cool idea that actually works.Finding a piece at the thrift store that I can use in a build.

and for me sayng.....yup ,I built that.....lol

Dislikes.....Roookie perspective.....Destoying a nice box......I use average ones right now till I get better,Cutting the neck too short and not getting the distance btween the nut and bridge....gakking a box with the saw,soldering tiny litlle damn wires,forgetting to cut inside of neck be4 cutting box....dohhhh,Glueing a box together then having a post build wiring or plug issue,,,grrr,Fretting,,,,,arghhhh,so far still fretless, had one try without success,Losing patience because I'm frustrated

I do like building , but I lack patience and I get ahead of myself,It's a process,this CBG thang

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I just started so I'll play....

LIKES Watching everything come together with my first builds. Seeing ideas for upcoming builds EVERYWHERE. The fact my hubby is getting into it with me (I'm building and he's doing the electronics).

DISLIKES: cutting the head angle with a jigsaw.... gahhh I need a band saw so bad. The fact my hands are getting inundated with small injuries. Knicks, splinters, blisters, etc.

Ah well.....the likes way outweigh the dislikes!
  • I've got another dislike, not spacing out the tuners properly and ending up with them overlapping. Pain in the bumcheeks!
    • Oh geez - I just did that but didn't want to admit it in public!!!! It is on a 20" scale I am building for my grandson!!!!

Don't anybody tell him!!!!  :-)

• O.k. I'll play

When I open the back of my CBamp and play rock and roll the moving air make the room smell like cigars.

This site and the people here are so helpful and kind to each other no matter of skill level. very rare today.

Dislikes   

People who make top content without breaking a sweat. nanandodo

Non CBG related

Anyone who makes another persons problems worst,  Watch the movie (God Bless America) your see what I mean.

If you don't like what is going on in town think of what your children are up against. You build neighborhoods for you kids.

• Likes  ; anything with strings on, and how everything sound different even with the same strings on and like minded people

creating something unique..even if its silly.

Dislikes: Intonation...and cheap tuners..and when it snaps being hit in the eye..cutting my fingers...and having no patience...

• Great comments, folks.  Fun to read.

• biggest like: the looks on peoples faces (including my own) when they hear the cool sound that comes out of a throw away box, a piece of scrap lumber, and a few bits from the hardware store.

Biggest dislike:  waiting for the Muse to show up.  She's even lazier than I am.

• Life ain't jack without yer muse.....

• like? just about everything... ditto to what many have said about the community aspects on the nation and elsewhere- the possibilities and ideas are endless. I like that every guitar I have made has been a player. Feel lucky about that. I like that this hobby probably saved my sanity. I have a daughter with a terminal condition and my wife also recently diagnosed with a serious/ life altering medical condition. This calms me. Balances me out- the creative outlet. Seeing a great musician play one of my babies better than I could dream of- and seeing the sparkle in their eyes as they are playing. Very cool. 

dislike? Not being able to commit more time to it. Work getting in the way- lol. Don't like not being able to saw straight...

• I love the smell of wood when its cut/sanded. I love watching the wood grain come out the finer I sand it. The different sounds all my builds have... I think I should start naming them. The joy I see on the faces of those who buy or receive them.

I don't like my cheap soldering iron, I think its time for a good soldering station

This reply was deleted.