I posted a query about using a tambourine for guitar body a while back. Seems it had been done before, but I couldn't resist.

I used the head stock I had left over from an old violin. I spliced it into a 1" red oak dowel from HD. After splicing and smoothing, I applied a faux finish over the entire neck to blend the maple head stock into the oak neck.

It's a slider, so I just notched the dowel on the up-facing surface to indicate fret locations and brass tacks to indicate the usual dots.

I wanted to used the original violin tuning pegs, but after giving that I try I had a new respect for violinist and a firm belief that I could never keep this thing in tune with simple tapered pegs. Soooooooo..... I pirated some enclosed tuners from a git I wasn't using, built up the side of the head stock to accommodate and gave it a try.

I choose to string with the Gitty med-hi-hi strings (.020w, .012, .009) tuned to G3-D4-G4. Tuned an octave above the normal range, this puppy is treble-rich. I finally decided to tune down to get some of that sloppy-string sound. Down to DAD and it sounds really nice with the two piezos wired in parallel. I did install a tone control with a .047 uF cap. It works well to control the high notes.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the tambourine slider. It has a very bluegrass type sound and you can hear the tambourine head "thump" thanks to the piezos.

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• This post got me thinking about tuning machines.I use mostly Jackson/Charvel Schaller type tuners.The type that are on hot rod metal guitars.The main reason is I have soooooo many of them.I built parts'casters and just ended up w/ dozens of them.So they work great on CBG's and I never have to run to the music or HD store for parts.

If it isnt in the garage or my parts box it doesnt belong on the CBG.

I guess its about function.I woulda put those tuners on it too.Sweet instrument.

• That is really cool.I also dig the story of how you built it.Lots of really good info.That headstock is awsome.

Thanks for sharing.

BNZ'

• Thanks CS. Since this forum is about "Building Secrets" I think it's important to share how something got build and not just show photos. Some of the techniques I used are well known, but others may be new to a lot of folks. If sharing technique helps other builders, then it's worth putting is a few extra photos and words.

• Cool Tom T,I thank you again for the tips.I really believe this is a forum for sharing info,not hoarding it.

I'll get some pics of my stuff up asap.

• That's the spirit! I figure everyone has valuable tips (secrets?) to share. We'll all build better stuff as a result.

• Awesome work on that! I especially like how you joined the head and neck, you really can't see it at all, looks to be carved out of one solid piece!!

• Thanks Bluesheart. It is turning out to be a nice little git. Very "swampy" sound.

• looks nice.

using the violin head make that extra special.

• Really nice work. Looks beautiful.
  • That is a keeper right there, It might have been done before but you have readdressed the thing with a winner,

This reply was deleted.