anyone have any hints, tips, or tricks i should know before i try this? i do know this i am gonna try it my way (to be explained later) and see what i can do with it and it wont be fretted or angled head, mainly i am worried about attaching to the box, prefferably without glue but i will if i must, while keeping everything solid and sounding great. looking for and open to any advice, thanks

also i am gonna have this cbg painted to a theme but i dont know what theme, any ideas?

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• http://www.cigarboxnation.com/photo/2592684:Photo:154949?context=user
    I'm not sure how to spal a pic link here ,it might work.
    In case it doesnt , look for the gold box with the green neck in my pics, pull it up and blow it up and it'll show how I do the tail ends.That dark piece of wood is not the neck itself. It's another piece I shape quickly , and the screws go THROUGH THAT small piece into the neck itself.
    My necks are also 2 piece necks instead of the traditional one piece.I feel it makes a much stronger neck with less chance of resulting bow then a 1 piece neck does.
  • actually spent the better part of the day looking at your pics and builds, the paint is what inspired me to go ahead and do the neck through as i wanna do some custom painted boxes and necks but with a neck-on design you have precious little room o paint and decorate.thanks for the info on where those strings actually go so i can attach the strings to them

Roger Martin said:
    I dont glue my necks to the box.Nor do I run the neck all the way thru the box. I find it much easier to angle the neck exactly like I want it if I stop the neck at the back INSIDE edge of the box.Then run the screws I use to hold the strings on the tail INTO the end of the neck thru the box. My pics show what I'm talking about ( I think)
  • I dont glue my necks to the box.Nor do I run the neck all the way thru the box. I find it much easier to angle the neck exactly like I want it if I stop the neck at the back INSIDE edge of the box.Then run the screws I use to hold the strings on the tail INTO the end of the neck thru the box. My pics show what I'm talking about ( I think)
  • Dude just make sure the neck and the front/sound board bit are tight to each other, and that you recess/rebate the neck about an 1/8" deep on the fret face of the neck so you have about 3/4" square at both inside edges of the box. Enough area to glue or screw the neck on to your box but letting the bridge/sound board areas to vibrate a bit longer which I think means louder and that has to be a good thing (maybe not for the neighbors though). Then again there are no rules in this stuff as far as you go is as far as you know .
  • My second CBG is a through neck with no glue...though I may be gluing it soon since it has an intermittent rattle I can't seem to find.

Mine attaches to the box at two places. First there's a bolt that goes through the tail piece (a modified picture hanger) the top of the box, and then then neck:
    http://www.cigarboxnation.com/photo/temporary-pickup

The other spot is at the 24th fret where I used 3 brass screws through the fingerboard that extend down into the box top as well:
    http://www.cigarboxnation.com/photo/great-for-camping

It's not much of an attachment to the box, but it works great!
  • To attach to the box I glue a small block of wood below the neck to the box. Then I can put a screw thru the neck into the block, this holds the neck to the box. Close the lid, screws are covered up and then string it up, lid stays shut. Simple. I don't run the tail out so that screw goes in the back, but if you run the neck out the back both ends get a block. Pictures on my page show some of this. Good luck with "your way", I like new ideas.
  • Neck throughs are easy as pie.

Go to my page and look at my plans in my blog. You don't need to worry. in fact. I would take and screw the lid on. I do. Sounds great. Look at my albums too and see what I do.

-WY
This reply was deleted.