Anyone got any advice on how to make or improvide metal tailpieces.  i'm based in the Uk

Views: 5193

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Depends on how involved you want to get.  Some take a brass hinge and drill.  Pretty simple.  If you want something fancier, a jewelers saw and sheet brass are a pretty cheap way to cut out a pattern.

This is the basic cutout shape I used.  I did a quick drawing on the computer, printed it for use as a pattern.  I bent it in a vise, using a couple pieces of wood to keep it from getting scratched up.

I drilled two holes right next to each other.  One small and the other larger.  I used a dremel tool to turn the small hole to a slot.  The small wood piece was there just to take the photo as I had not installed it yet.

My next project is going to use a trapeze style tailpiece.  I now have more metal working tools for bending.  The plan is to take brass rod stock and use a threading die on both ends.  Then bend the rod into shape.  I'll use brass sheet stock to bend the rectangle box shape.  I'll drill holes for the strings and the rod and use brass acorn nuts to fasten the bar.

This one was pretty easy.  I picked up a trashed Harmony student sized guitar for $5 at a flea market.  I took the six string tailpiece and cut it with some metal shears then filed it smooth on the sides.  It turned it into a nice properly spaced 4 string tailpiece.

There have also been some pretty creative stuff done by others.  I really liked the harmonica tailpiece that was on the boards a few weeks ago.  The photos are a great place to gather inspiration and ideas.

If you want something more low tech, you can also use any variety of hinges from the hardware store. Just find one the right size, with the right number of holes and away you go. Picture hangars can also be used.

Here is one I built using a hinge:

http://www.cigarboxnation.com/photo/andrewcbg-002?context=user

Thanks Don

what guage brass sheet do you use
Dan Sleep said:

If you want something more low tech, you can also use any variety of hinges from the hardware store. Just find one the right size, with the right number of holes and away you go. Picture hangars can also be used.

don

i've been building since oct 2010.  i'm leagally blind so some things take me 10 times longer to do than the average joe.  saw your tailpiece and was wondering if you could sell me a patteren marked witk hole locations.  1 for 3 string 1 for 4 string.  it would help me tremendoudly.

let me know

thanks

mark quigley

Don Goguen said:

Depends on how involved you want to get.  Some take a brass hinge and drill.  Pretty simple.  If you want something fancier, a jewelers saw and sheet brass are a pretty cheap way to cut out a pattern.

This is the basic cutout shape I used.  I did a quick drawing on the computer, printed it for use as a pattern.  I bent it in a vise, using a couple pieces of wood to keep it from getting scratched up.

I drilled two holes right next to each other.  One small and the other larger.  I used a dremel tool to turn the small hole to a slot.  The small wood piece was there just to take the photo as I had not installed it yet.

My next project is going to use a trapeze style tailpiece.  I now have more metal working tools for bending.  The plan is to take brass rod stock and use a threading die on both ends.  Then bend the rod into shape.  I'll use brass sheet stock to bend the rectangle box shape.  I'll drill holes for the strings and the rod and use brass acorn nuts to fasten the bar.

This one was pretty easy.  I picked up a trashed Harmony student sized guitar for $5 at a flea market.  I took the six string tailpiece and cut it with some metal shears then filed it smooth on the sides.  It turned it into a nice properly spaced 4 string tailpiece.

There have also been some pretty creative stuff done by others.  I really liked the harmonica tailpiece that was on the boards a few weeks ago.  The photos are a great place to gather inspiration and ideas.

Here's my Marine Band tail Don mentioned

Sell, no but if you want one, all you need do is ask.  I would need to know what string spacing you want to use.  It is also helpful to know how much the tail end needs to drop down to connect to center of the neck member if you are doing anything unusual.  Otherwise it is just half of the 3/4" neck board plus a little extra for the box top. 

I'm away on business this week and away from my desktop and don't have cad on my travel laptop.  Let me know what you need and I'll draw it out when I get back.

mark "mudcat" quigley said:

don

i've been building since oct 2010.  i'm leagally blind so some things take me 10 times longer to do than the average joe.  saw your tailpiece and was wondering if you could sell me a patteren marked witk hole locations.  1 for 3 string 1 for 4 string.  it would help me tremendoudly.

let me know

thanks

mark quigley

thanks don

all i build is 3 and 4strings.  spacing i don't know.  i just eyeball it and with my eyesight you can bet no 2 are alike or spaced evenly.  my address is

mark quigley

1302 7th st 

covington in 47932

Don Goguen said:

Sell, no but if you want one, all you need do is ask.  I would need to know what string spacing you want to use.  It is also helpful to know how much the tail end needs to drop down to connect to center of the neck member if you are doing anything unusual.  Otherwise it is just half of the 3/4" neck board plus a little extra for the box top. 

I'm away on business this week and away from my desktop and don't have cad on my travel laptop.  Let me know what you need and I'll draw it out when I get back.

mark "mudcat" quigley said:

don

let me know

thanks

mark quigley

Hi Ian

For that tailpiece, I used some pretty heavy brass that I had kicking around but the steel one is of a much lighter gauge.  That one is only about 22 gauge.  I picked up some nickel silver for another project I'm working on and that is 22 gauge.  All the stress is pull tension so it doesn't need to be heavy if it is supported at the bend by the box.

The heavier gauge is a pain to bend and depending on the brass stock might even fracture.  I had this happen to one where I tried to bend too tight a corner.  The brass fractured and I needed to apply heat on the next one to get the tight angle I wanted.  From there I just decided to use lighter stock as it is easier to deal with.

Ian david campbell said:

Thanks Don

what guage brass sheet do you use
Dan Sleep said:

You are limited only by your imagination.

AFKAM

Hi for me i just use anything that takes myu fancy bras sheet is easy I use snips files and a drill and always do it by eye but thats cos i like a bit of inperfection
Ian,

Obviously a coupla months late to the "tailgate" party, but just wanted to mention that I am making trapeze tailpieces from cheap (10 for $5 US) stainless steel forks and spoons. I take a simple hammer, measure 'em to put the bends in the right place, bend 'em on my bench vise, then bend / curl the fork tines back ( or hacksaw ' em off, when my bends break!), and viola! I also use some small files to clean up an rough edges. I drill two holes in the handles, then screw in one flat headed wood screw in the upper hole, a small eye screw in the bottom hole, to attach them to the end of the box (I'm not using a neck-through that extends past the outer edge of the box; mine terminate inside the box). The eye screw thus gives me a place to attach my homemade braided strap.

Oily

Oily

that sounds brilliant

any photos

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 21. 11 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

CB Bass Guitar

Started by Mi Rankin in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Justin Stanchfield Jan 27. 5 Replies

Latest Activity

Dar Stellabotta posted a video

A Cigar Box Guitar Six Stringer Built by Louie Lamanna

This video is the unboxing and the demonstration of a beautiful, six stringer built by Louie Lamanna. Join Louie and I June 15 at the second annual Pittsburg...
43 minutes ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

Hail the Resurrection Day: 2-String Violin Chugger Cigar Box Guitar

"Happy Easter to you too Andries! The passion is definitely in full swing. Turns out I’m…"
1 hour ago
A.D.EKER commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

Hail the Resurrection Day: 2-String Violin Chugger Cigar Box Guitar

"Happy Easter Doug ! the Passion is in full swing !"
1 hour ago
A.D.EKER commented on Ricky D's photo
1 hour ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
1 hour ago
Keith Rearick liked Doug Thorsvik's video
5 hours ago
Keith Rearick liked A.D.EKER's video
5 hours ago
Keith Rearick liked Doug Thorsvik's video
5 hours ago
Keith Rearick liked Ricky D's photo
5 hours ago
5 hours ago
5 hours ago
5 hours ago

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->