Tail piece

Hi all,
I have just completed my first CBG.  The only thing I am not satisfied with is the tail piece (If that is what you call it. Where the strings end below the bridge).  I have seen some good looking ones made with hinges.  So far I have not found small enough grommets and the strings are cutting into the wood.  Suggestions?  
~PapaSimone

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Put this up at the clubhouse last week - maybe helpful

• poof! no eyebrows... LOL

Mark Werner said:
    Hey, I like the fired brass! Raises all sorts of possibilities....
    Just be sure to not try to knock out live primers, or you'll get an unpleasant surprise.
  • Hey, I like the fired brass! Raises all sorts of possibilities....
    Just be sure to not try to knock out live primers, or you'll get an unpleasant surprise.
  • Hey Papa - Here's the picture I promised. I cut the link in about half to free up the whole link for the other build and then used the half section for the same purpose on a cookie tin banjo. The string bushings or ferrules here are 9mm Luger pistol brass that I cut down and countersunk into the wood. The back side has pop rivet heads. I hope this helps. See Ya 'round the nation!!!

• Hey Man! What little knowledge I have is yours! The bridge on this one is a piece of 1/4 x 20 threaded rod with square nuts. I have one guitar that required 5/16" threaded rod with corresponding nuts. The object just above the rivets is a rusty chain link that's held in place by string tension. It keeps the strings up off the box. I'll post a picture that shows how I used the link that I had to cut to "liberate" this one.

PapaSimone said:
    Thanks Mike! That is very helpful. I like the screw and nuts for a bridge. Now I am going to ask you to reveal all of your secrets. Do you feel like sharing the size of the screw and nuts and what the object is just above the rivets in your tail piece? Carved wood? Thanks again for the help!
  • There are also some real metal pieces made for the guitar which I got on ebay for very cheap. Ferrules they are called.
  • Thanks Mike! That is very helpful. I like the screw and nuts for a bridge. Now I am going to ask you to reveal all of your secrets. Do you feel like sharing the size of the screw and nuts and what the object is just above the rivets in your tail piece? Carved wood? Thanks again for the help!
  • You could try some 3/16" diameter pop rivet heads. You can knock the "nail" part out and use the heads.

This reply was deleted.