Since 2017 has started, I've been trying to learn a song tab a week, just to add new songs to my repertoire, and challenge myself. I've learned that, on songs with lyrics, you can use the lyrics to know where you are, for example, Amazing Grace. How about instrumental songs, like Ashokan Farewell? What are your thoughts/approach for learning tabs? http://www.cigarboxguitar.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/AshokanFarewell.pdf

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Instead of removing strings, you could tune the 3 low strings open in one key and the 3 high strings open in another key.

Or tune all 6 open in the same key playing 3 in a lower octave.

Lots of possibilities.

• I'll learn the chords/theory first, before jumping into tabs. I was also thinking, however, learn the basic melodies, and make them my own. For example, a lot of the traditional songs like this would sound good in dulcimer style. Some spirituals would sound good played with a slide, like Amazing Grace, etc.
    • Did anyone see the link that I posted, about turning a 6 string into a Seasick Steve guitar?
  • Would a video of Ashokan Farewell played slowly and close to the fretboard be of any help to you?

• Rick,

Yes it would! And for Dustin and everyone else's benefit, could you do one following the Gitty tab he referenced?
      • Yes, I'll do that.
        And, yes learning the chords first might be the way to go.

• When learning tabs, it does help to have some previous playing experience, as well as having learned the CAGED system, and how to make proper barre chords. This will allow you to figure out fingerings from what you already know. 3-string tabs are definitely simpler than 6-string, and it also helps to have heard the song before. If you've never heard the song, usually a quick YouTube search will get you several versions of the song in its original key. Many times, there are detailed instructional videos available, either for purchase, or free on YouTube, that will show you exactly how to play particular songs on 6-strings.
    • Thanks. Are there any lessons for that here? I'm somewhat self taught. I've always played slide.
      • Would learning the chords help, before getting into tabs?
This reply was deleted.