sympatheic strings?

On the thread about microtuning there was a link to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crSi9IxPfYA with about a zillion sympathetic strings. Sort of like a string bass/sitar blend. I have also been studying this instrument, a bowed dulcimer with sympathetic strings running UNDER the fingerboard: http://www.boweddulcimer.com/product-Hardanger.htm Has anyone here tried sympathetic strings and can share design ideas and potential roadblocks?

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I am just finishing an $2 Op shop guitar conversion to a Hurdy gurdy. It will have two drones and my friend is encouraging me to add sympathetic strings too. A number of Early Music instruments had sympathetic strings, they seem to add to the warmth of the instrument and depending on how they are tuned can have a pleasant or even "weird" effect on the tune you are playing.

I know it is probably a fantasy of mine, but often, with sympathetic strings, I hear "Modern Jazz" overtones/harmonies.

Could be fun.
  • Mark Deutch is amazing..glad to see he has arrived at CBN. Hollow neck instruments must be soooo difficult to make, the bazantar which is a cross between a sitar and a heavily adapted double bass has 50 + strings... but on a steel frame to take the huge amount of tension. Should work well on a cigar box Diane - so I can't wait to see your efforts!

The Sympitar design I think incorporates twin truss rods with the channel for the sympathetics in between - so in the prelim stage I would go for a neck on top of box dulcimer approach until convinced it won't implode! The funny end of the problem I think would have to be where to put all the machine heads?? I tried zither pins but tuning is a nightmare..

Sounds like fun - I actually bought a double bass after seeing the Bazantar vid - but haven't built my add on/ plug in bass sitar component (plus I can't play it, or have an ear sharp enough to appreciate the indian scales etc) - the sheer size of the instrument is like playing a cupboard with strings, while rowing it across a river...but it would allow for easy modification as there is plenty of room to move..so I guess go bigger rather than smaller first out..good luck mate.
  • Paul Doug said:
    People feel sympathy for my strings everytime I try to play something. Does that count?
    Maybe we could record a song called "Sympathy for the Cigar Box"! HA!!
  • Diane said:
    Yes, but if I try it on a cigar box, can't I stay?
    A new revolution might have just started. Maybe we could get Shane in on this!
  • Tres Seaver said:
    I haven't done it, but just finished Dennis Havlena's notes on converting a fiddle to a hardanger. Might be of some help.
    This could be the start of a new revolution!
  • Mortimer Snerd said:
    SSshhheeeooooot! Your over our heads Diane, this is a junk build site. We are barely house broke here, and your throwing around words like micro tunning and sympathetic strings,, That is some advanced music technology you playing with there, we might get hurt venturing into that world from here.
    You just gotta face yer fear! HA!!!
  • Old Lowe said:
    Whew Doggies !

That first guy is an interesting feller.
    I guess I kinda started somethin here. You could call it thinkin outside the box! HA!!!
  • Wow! I have a crappy fiddle in the basement -- it might have to walk the plank. Thanks, Tres!
  • I haven't done it, but just finished Dennis Havlena's notes on converting a fiddle to a hardanger. Might be of some help.
  • Sympathetic strings are strings that sense when you don't play so well , and just join in to make you sound better... hahahaha

Actually , we played the Sitar back in the 60's, the sympathetic strings sounded sorta' nice especially when you gave em a swipe like a harp, added a little something , but were a "mother" to tune ... I'm sorta leaning to a double neck CBG with those I-V bass strings sorta' like this guy ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7KbpdmgVIg
This reply was deleted.