Hi all,

I'm getting ready to start my first build & am finding out what tools I need to acquire before I start.

I've read various articles and tutorials recommending surform or spokeshave tools for shaping the neck profile - which would you recommend?

Cheers :)

Anna

Views: 1601

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have a cheap Stanley spokeshave.  After a little cleaning and sharpening, it makes quick work of a neck....  Half the time I don't need a rasp...

Rasp seems like the most popular choice.. :) next question - is it worth paying for a good quality one or will a basic one do the job?

Can't get a Dragon in the UK, would have to get it imported. Shinto has good reviews and readily available here (plus it's Japanese & I like samurai swords!): http://www.japanesetools.com.au/products/shinto-saw-rasp

Any thoughts?
Go to your local DIY woodworker supply house, and get a 4-in-1 rasp. Buy a cheap one, and then buy a quality one. The whole outlay shouldn't run you more than £25. The cheap one will work until it doesn't, and the quality one can be passed down a generation or two. Or, buy 3 cheap ones for the price of one quality one.

And the cheap ones can be sharpened.
Also, this popped up, which you may enjoy reading:

http://www.cigarboxnation.com/profiles/blogs/how-to-taper-a-cigar-b...

The Shinto rasp works great. There is none finer. The only drawback is that there is not a curved version.

Don't underestimate kitchenwares as woodworking tools. My Kiwi brand vegetable peeler works as good as any spokeshave. The fine cheese graters I got from Aldi do a great job on lighter woods like pine.

I also like to just whittle with a sharp knife.

Great idea! I've already thought of several uses for the peeler: cleaning up fret glue, fine-tuning F holes, etc.

Wife'll never miss it--although she's still mad about how I got glue in her toothbrush.

** it is not really an either/or position, these are fundamentally different tools.

a surform (or rasp, woodfile) is great for roughing out shapes quickly, they chew wood up.  They're really handy for rough shaping a neck, especiallly say the heel and where the head meets the neck.

A spokeshave is a kind of plane, usually with a curved blade rather than a flat one.  It shaves wood away in thin slices.  It is a finishing tool, when you know how to use it the work will not need any sanding or anything afterwards and sanding may in fact take you backwards..

They're both great tools and really handy to make a guitar neck, although it is possibly to make one without either.

oh I meant to post this! round on one side flat on other rasp and file. As I said I looked for a bgigger one but have not seen one . Then can a cut clean 90's and shape a inside and outside radius. Almost as cool as hot chicks who love beer.

I forgot to mention one of my favorite tools - the cabinet scraper. It quickly cleans up rasp marks and it's pretty inexpensive. Old timers would use a piece of broken glass as a scraper to get a nice smooth finish.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 21. 11 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

CB Bass Guitar

Started by Mi Rankin in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Justin Stanchfield Jan 27. 5 Replies

Latest Activity

A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

Im Troubled (Tribute) Mc K Morganfield by BCB - A.D .Eker 2024.

"Thank you Poorness ! for loving it ! appreciated!"
12 hours ago
Southern Ray replied to Timothy Hunter's discussion just came accross this pickup idea on youtube.
" Very interesting. Thank you Timothy!"
12 hours ago
Kent Thurston updated their profile
12 hours ago
Southern Ray posted a photo

Punch Project!

She now sports gold metal CBGitty knobs, speaker and an Artec 2.5 watt speaker. Finished this in…
13 hours ago
Southern Ray posted a photo

Project Punch!

Gonna finally get back on this long-delayed project that is more than half complete. (The matching…
13 hours ago
Poorness Studios liked A.D.EKER's video
15 hours ago
BrianQ. left a comment for Rob (Uker) Porras
"Hope this helps?"
15 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Doug Thorsvik's photo
Thumbnail

Dueling Flatheads

"I appreciate the kind words Papa D! I have always loved the look of these cigar boxes. Glad to have…"
18 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
21 hours ago
A.D.EKER posted a video

Im Troubled (Tribute) Mc K Morganfield by BCB - A.D .Eker 2024.

The recorded History By Alan Lomax for the library of Congres of the Blues, from Mc Kinley Morganfield (Aka Muddy Waters) the in this take recorded Tribute ...
21 hours ago
Papa D commented on Doug Thorsvik's photo
Thumbnail

Dueling Flatheads

"Beautiful..Nice work Doug.."
yesterday
Papa D commented on Papa D's photo
Thumbnail

american1 Sun Glo

"Thanx AGP & Doug..  4 more coming soon"
yesterday

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->