I got my new CBG done last night and I got to playing it, and man am I rusty!

Anyhow, I was going to tune to open G, but I could not get the top string to tune into G, I felt like I was going to snap it. So I went to my old, open D, so I tuned it DAD, using the top strings for a pack of six. Anyhow, when I strum the open D, on my guitar tuning app on my phone, I get A chord.  Why is that? is that because the A string is the root note? Not well rounded on music theory, so any help would be great, thanks, and if anyone can lead me to some good, one finger chords using the open D tuning, that would be awesome too. I am wanting to change up my  playing style and polish it a bit more, and mix in some sliding with some finger work.

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thank you all for being so helpful. I was just so frustrated at first because I could not find a strait answer on what strings to use for open G. Now, I know.  This is good talk.  Yes, I have history in playing stringed instruments, but I am very rusty and only learned the basic chords on a 6 string, I only later in life learned one blues scale and that was about it. I got really bored with the 6 string standard tuning and I hated it when music got so complicated, It sucked the joy out of it for me, that is why later in life I moved to cigar box guitar. To me it seemed way more simplified than a standard six string and most of the time you can get the same sounds from a box than you can a guitar. 

So to simplify things even more, someone list the note strings that will make up the open chords, chart them out like from a basic set of Ernie balls, what strings make up what tuning, or blog and paste a site that will tell us all.  Not just string gauges.  Just more of a just beginner approach. I think when most build their first CBG they are not worried about guages of strings, just what they have or can obtain and what to play. That way, with what ever they have as far as strings go, they can look at this forum post and get good guidance.   Believe it or not but walmart used to carry Ernie Balls in my brick and mortar store, but now they don't, and since I live in the armpit of the United States, I have to order strings if I need them, or drive almost an hour away to get to a music store, just to buy them.  No real music shops around here any more.

Anyhow, if anyone can list the 6 string strings by their notes and what combo will give you what tunning, that would be amazing.  Thanks again.

• My best advice to you is to start off with Open G tuning on your CBG. Once you get a firm grasp on that, then move onto experimenting with other "open" tunings.

Here is a list of some common CBG 3-string tunings:

Open G - GDg

Open A - AEa

Open B - BEb

Open C - CGc

Open D - DAd

Open E - EBe

Open F - FCf

Some other possibilities:

DGC

EeB

ACE

FCB

FCE

A#D#a#

F#C#f#

• That 6th string doesn't have to be tuned to a Low E when it is placed as the lowest string on your CBG. You can tune it to a Low G. Ignore the "notes" on the 6 string set, period. Just make sure you pull 3 strings from that set that are ascending in thickness...then tune accordingly...to whatever 3-string tuning you like.

• there are other things that come in to play also, as scale length variation will result in string tension variations, but your general string sets will work ok around the 24-25 1/2 inch scale length, usually giving you the ability to step up or down at least 1 step, often 2, and sometimes even more, the longer the scale length the more tension is required to tune to a particular note, eg. if you tuned a guitar of 24" scale to a G , using the recommended G string, you could easily step that up to A or B, maybe even a C. but on a 25 1/2" scale with the same string, you would be lucky to reach B without the risk of breaking, also stepping up more than 1 step can make it a bit harsh on the fingers, but works well with a slide, not trying to confuse you here, just hoping to save you snapping string

• Good info, but all too confusing for a beginner. He should just grab a new set of strings, and start with the 6/5/4 from the set. Tighten the strings till they're a little tighter than "floppy" and wait for the note to appear on the tuner. Tune the 6th to Low G (the first G to appear after floppy), and so on...for Open G tuning. Best way for a beginner.

• Maybe this will make it easier to understand:

306622607?profile=original

• On a 6-string guitar, starting from the thickest/heaviest string, they are:

6th string = "Low" E

5th string = A

4th string = D

3rd string = G

2nd string = B

1st string = "High" E

But, the above is standard tuning ON A GUITAR (not a CBG). The strings though are just strings. You can take that 6 string set, in proper order of thickness, and modify the tuning any way you want. It's not set in stone.

Know this - just because you are pulling those strings from a standard 6-pack set DOES NOT mean that when you put them on your CBG that you have to tune them to what they should be tuned at on a standard guitar tuning. Once they are on your CBG, you can pick whatever CBG tuning you want - ex. GDG, AEA, EEB, CGC, etc, etc. In other words, the 6th string (Low E) can be put on a CBG and tuned to Low G!

BUT, do yourself a big favor and just start off tuning to Open G...which is Low G, D, and High G. Make it easier on yourself!

From the above standard guitar string set, if you like a lower, bluesier sound on your CBG then use:

6th as your Low G - 5th as your D - 4th as your High G

If you prefer a higher, banjo-type sound, than use:

4th as your Low G - 3rd as your D - 2nd as your High G.

You're going to have to experiment to find the sound you like. Just make sure that whatever strings you pull from the 6 string set, they are sequential....meaning, don't just randomly pull any of them...they should be ascending in thickness from the group 6/5/4, 4/3/2, 3/2/1. You can tune any of these to whatever tuning you want.

I'm just as new to all of this as you...maybe someone can come in and better explain it than me.

• you could go to CBGitty  and get the chord chart...

https://www.cbgitty.com/gift-ideas/three-string-open-g-chord-poster...

• So i'm still stumped on why when I tune to DAD, when I strum a open chord, it shows up as a A chord on my tuning app.  Also, I used the top 3 strings of a six string guitar pack. Is this open tuning, meant more for slide? or am I missing the one finger aspect? I would like to acutally play some kinda chord structure, but cant find the chords quit yet.  Also, what are those red dots on that chord chart? Are those root notes? So confused still.

• Yup, red dots = root on the chart above. Mind you, those aren't chords, they're notes of the major scale. Several good one finger chord tutorials are out there and Glenn Watt's are excellent. Here's one
      https://youtu.be/ydfH69uqJ9Q

This reply was deleted.