Strings

Thanks to the encouragement of several folks in this forum, I built my first CBG recently. It ended up a bit high strung..that is to say, the strings were too far from the neck. I adjusted the nut as well as the bridge. I restrung it...with the same strings and, you guessed it, SNAP. I knew it could happen. No problem, I had another set. When I ordered my parts from Gitty, I ordered 2 different sets of strings.

So I strung up the second, heavier set of strings. I went easy and tuned them up, but they were VERY loose and sloppy...unplayable. So I tightened them up another octave...it sounded horrible. Each string sounded fine together, and all 3 together were fine, but when I tried fretting one (I fretted the neck in diatonic configuration) blech! 

Grasping at straws I noticed that the recommended tuning on the string package was not the GDG that I was using...so I thought I'd go ahead and tune to the recommended and SNAP once again.

I've re-strung my 6-string guitars numerous times over the years, so I know how to do it. What am I doing wrong with the CBG?

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• It's not rocket science guys. Think about a guitar, and the difference between its scale length and that of your build. If you have a regular guitar, hold your build up against it, bridge to bridge. If your nut reaches fret #4 on that guitar.. Well what pitch does each string give you at that fret? If your target pitch is somewhere exactly between two of em then go for the lower one. A guitar string can typically target a pitch two steps higher than its built for, and three below at 25".. (They have substantially less range at a shorter scale)...
  • Tuning is all about relativity. Possibly you will find this helpful.

Basically I use standard medium gauge strings A (45) D (35) G (26)

Tune down to GDg.

You can slowly tune up...

EBe...FCf...F#C#f#...GDg

Because the string relationships are the same 151 tones for their respective major scales, all the fingering positions are the same. The CBG just sounds in another key.

I hope this is helpful.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/njmikeb/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from...  

• I bought a cheap set of Martin light acoustic strings and used 3, 4, and 5. I've tuned it to GDg. It was a little nerve-wracking tuning them up after the last 2 snapping on me :)  I played around with it....it is still very much a work in progress. I may end up re-raising the bridge as my pick hits the box behind the strings. Then I need to learn how to play it LOL.

• What was this recommended tuning? String gauges? Scale length of build?

• Please excuse the copy pasta for my answers:

String Specs:
      #1 - .022" Bronze Wound
      #2 - .014" Plain Steel
      #3 - .010" Plain Steel

set of 3 strings specifically for a 3-string cigar box guitar (CBG) that you want to tune in an "Open G" (GBD) or "standard guitar" (GBE - the three highest-pitch strings of a standard 6-string guitar) tuning.

String Specs:
      #1 - .030" Bronze Wound
      #2 - .022"
      Bronze Wound
      #3 - .014" Plain Steel

set of 3 strings specifically for a 3-string cigar box guitar (CBG) that you want to tune in an "Open D" (D-F#-A)" tuning.

The length is 25½ inches.

This reply was deleted.