Strings for the Blues

Ok, I am finishing my first electric cbg and I like the sound of the blues. Which would be the best strings to use for the blues. One person told me to use the E A D strings tunes to DAD or tuned up to GDG. I am jsut in the learning stages so I need help. Thanks Roger

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Roger, mine is tuned to DGBd and tho not what others would do, I find it quite flexible. I use the top 4 strings of a standard string pack. 12ga (only gauge in the cheapest pack). Granted, you are using the bottom strings.

Mort above has a great listing and from what I see, I'm using an Open G. Works for me. Great for simple 12-bar blues.

-Wes
  • I just finished my 2nd build. My first one was a 25" scale length with the ADG strings tuned GDG. My second build I wanted to used the same strings with the same amount of tension but wanted to tune EBE. I "extended" the neck by "3 frets" and ended up with a 30" scale (I think of it as a baritone scale CBG). My ADG strings are tuned to EBE and they aren't floppy or too tense. I really like it. **As a disclaimer...don't build to 30" if you've got small hands or are new to the guitar.**
  • First,, I don't know horse douvers about music. But I found this online, it's for 6 stringers, so for my 4 sting boxers, I drop the first and last strings out of this list, as that is what stings I use, the center four, not using the Hi and Low E strings. I like the Open G, Girl-Dog-Girl-Boy or GDGB
    For a three stinger, just find three together out of the list that "sounds cool", unless someone with a good thinker can pick it out of this list for us.

EADGBE ... Standard tuning
    EBEG#BE ... Open E
    EAEAC#E ... Open A
    EADF#BE ... Lute tuning
    EADGCF ... Blues tuning
    DADGAD ... Jimmy Page tuning.
    DGCGCD ... Rain Song tuning.
    DADF#AD ... Open D
    DADGBE ... Drop D
    DGDGBD ... Open G
    DADACD ... Top Jimmy
    CGCGAE ... C 6th
    FADGBE ... Jewel ...low E raised to F.
    GBbDGBbD... G minor tuning
  • Im probably the last person to ask about tunings, but its all about personal preference... play around till you find something you like! I found a really nice A E A C# the other day (you could use E A C# on a 3 string)... the options are limitless.
    I alwas try to decide a tuning first, and then use the nearest corresponding strings from the set. For example, if the string will be tuned to an 'A', use the 'A' string if possible - that way you are not over or under tensioning (is that a real word?) the strings.... nothing worse than a sloppy string or a set that bends ya neck!
    Just my thoughts :o)
  • Gdg, is a good standard start.
This reply was deleted.