My next project is going to be a 3 string fretted cbg for my grandson's 8th birthday. I plan on using a short scale, probably 20ins. and I think he would be able to get on with GDG tuning. Has anybody had a similar project and can you suggest which strings would be best? Cheers. Norwich Tony.

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• You are in Uke territory, a tenor is 19".  Maybe nylon uke strings would work.  If you used the low G version the lower three would be fairly close - normal uke tuning is gCEA.  They would be easier on the fingers too although fussier about holding tune. 

• Thanks Kigar, That's worth considering and the idea of nylon strings does appeal. Uke strings attach just behind the bridge and my CBG strings will have to attach at the end of the box or beyond, depending on whether the neck goes right through the box or not. The tenor strings might not be quite long enough. I'm not sure how long baritone uke strings are so I will investigate. I am currently travelling and I won't be able to check these things out for a little while but I will get back to you, and to John (above) in due course. Thanks, Tony
      • For my first (so far) uke, I strung it like a CBG except I tied the strings instead of passing thru the metal string.  But I think it could go back and forth (is this some sort of bi-instrument?) and work for both with the same bridge if it is not too long.  It is a smaller soprano size but the same logic would apply.  You can see pictures here:  http://www.cigarboxnation.com/group/cigarboxukulele/forum/topics/la...

• haven't done one that short, but I'd try the EAD strings...

• Thanks John. Thay's a good idea so I will let you know. Tony
This reply was deleted.