Strings

Ok, I am posting this as I head out the door for work. My first CBG build is about done. I am ready to string it up.  I am using some strings I had given to me. Some of the packages have numbers, one has a   .025  on it. Not sure What it all means. I am numbered 2, .025, 3, 4, 5 and 6. What strings should I ise on my 3 stringer? As I see it I don't Have the little E string.  Any info would be helpful here.  Thanks, Mike

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• There are many possibilities for stringing and tuning a CBG. A very common tuning is GDg. Use the A , D, G strings. This would be strings 5, 4, 3. The thicker wound strings, but not string 6, the thickest low E. The A is tuned down to G.   

Without changing strings, you can retune to ADf# which is Open D tuning. Currently, I have a series of free lessons on my page teaching a method of moveable chords that makes it possible to play and strum the CBG like a standard guitar.

If you are interested in lessons for the GDg tuning, please check out my instructional video CD 4 that is for sale here:

http://shop.ebay.com/njmikeb/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&a...

Please feel free to write if you have any questions. Enjoy your new build, Keni Lee    

• What it means.

The .025 string means it 25 thousandths thick.

The 2,3,4,5,6  that the location the string goes. 1 being the thinnest ( bottom) 6 the thickest (top).

Which ones I would use? 2,3,4 or 3,4,5. Depending on the sound I was looking for.

2,3,4 for a higher tone, 3,4,5 for a lower.

AFKAM

This reply was deleted.