Replies

• I've turned on to D'Addario XL Chromes flatwound. On my 4-stringers I use the .014, .020, .028, .038 (2,3,4,5). On a 25.5 scale they are ferpect.

•  Try tuneing every string up from GDG(open G chord) to AEA (Open A chord) .

• To tune to GDg you should be using strings 3,4,5. The 3 already is a g. The 4 already is a D. The 5 is an A which you will 'drop' to a G.
    • Good info, Marc.

The only thing I'd add is that we are assuming a standard sized scale length (24"-26"). If the scale length is very short (under 18"), then maybe the GDg that he's going for in an octave higher. In this case, maybe strings from a shorter scaled instrument would work better. What's the scale length of your instrument, Scruggy?

-Rand.

• its the standard 24"!

• Easy solution - go to a music shop and buy new strings.

If you want to be really anally retentive (like me) you could use a string tension calculator and work out which gauges would give you uniform tension for your scale length and tuning.

http://www.mcdonaldstrings.com/stringxxiii.html

For GDG, I use electric guitar strings, 36, 22, 17 (630mm scale) and that gives me 7-7.6kg of tension per string.

• What gauges are you using?

• bought cbg on ebay so not sure what the string gauge is, complete newbie!
      the are similiar to 2nd 3rd and 4th string on an electric tenor guitar! but looks and size!

This reply was deleted.