Working on first CBG. Wrestling with various issues but learning a lot, I hope. You guys are a wonderful resource.

So now what I`m trying to work out is, as stated, string spacing and setback. My neck is one and five eighths. I know, a bit wide but that`s what the kid wants. So figuring in fret bevel (everything I have read speaks only to distance from fret board edge) it seems that the outside strings wind up a bit close to the fret ends when following most recommendations I find. So what works? Also, do you give more space for the first string to resist it being pulled off the fret? I guess string spacing will be pretty much decided by what is left after setback is figured.

Have many, many questions. Another question is: I find lots of beautiful all wood boxes that have very thick sides. I want to make guitars that will sound good when not using the pick up. I`m wondering if anyone has tried to set up a routing jig that will allow routing the inside of a heavy box to thin the wood for better tone.

Last question. How does one stop buying cigar boxes? I have developed an obsession for them. Maybe a twelve step program.

Thanks to all.

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• We are CBG.  You will be assimilated.  Resistance is futile.

Borg played CBG to increase the quality of life.

• Let's do this back to front:

3) Your obsession cannot be helped by a twelve step program. Accept the inevitable, and be happy. And broke >:-E

2) Don't worry about thick sides. Worry about thick tops (or bottoms). Thin tops (or bottoms) seem to give the best resonance and tone. Numerous folks here have routed thick tops to something as thin as 2 mm. You don't need a jig, just careful freehand routing technique. Which requires patience and practice,

1) Start by giving at least 1/8" of inset for the strings from each edge. Then evenly space towards the middle. It's really that easy. Yes, if you have a 3-stringer, this may seem like slightly too large a distance between strings, but trust me, most players adapt just fine. 4-stringers will be closer together, but more comfortable for most people /finger lengths / hand sizes. These are CBGs, not custom Taylors or Larrivees. Don't get too twisted off in the details.
    • Thanks Ron. I overthink a lot. The piece I`m working on has a somewhat thick top so I`ve taken a Mouse sander and thinned around the inside edge which seemed to make quite a difference when tone tapping. I`ve made a couple of CB Ukes but cut the backs off the boxes and made it the top with Cedar. They sound great so now trying to run with the big dogs. Always greatful for the help

• As to how do you stop.....

YOU CAN'T hahaha
        • Spoken like a true addict ;-)
          • Yep, already planning my next one and still working on the 1st one (well really the third one, if you count the toy one for my son and my failed cookie tin banjo which I might be able to save)...

This reply was deleted.