I am setting up my first 3 sting cbg and have 2 questions. what height on the action is good for playing and sliding? what size on spacing between the strings? I have gone for half inch gap between strings and looks like a high action. It just feels wrong. any thoughts.. Thanks Daz

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• thanks guys, Since I have built this guitar and strung it the neck has bowed. ;(. It looks like i got to do some rework. I was thinking of planning the bow out, my neck is about 40mm thick at moment. I suspect it is a combination of change of environment (my shed to indoors) and the stringing. I didn't fancy fitting a truss rod just yet but i have not ruled it out.
  • Good thing is on most builds, nuts and saddles/bridges can be changed out. if its too high, lower it. Too wide or narrow, change it out. Too shallow, make a new one.

-WY
  • USUALLY ... lower is better. I guess I'm a holdover from my bass playing. As low as possible w/out buzz.
    BUUUUUT ... if you wanna play slide, you gotta keep it high enuff to keep from bumping the frets.
    Since it's built and playable, lower the action a bit at a time to see what happens.

Matt
  • Theres no right or wrong way to do this really. If you're playing and thinking "i wish I would have a higher action" or "I wish the strings were closer together" then you've answered your on question.
  • go for whats comfortable you to play.
  • Spacing is really a matter of taste. I prefer to have strings closer together than some like it, for instance.

The classic recipe for action on a fretted neck is "dime at the first fret, nickel at the 1welfth fret."
This reply was deleted.