I want to get this right on my CBG No. 2, as on my first one -- still unfretted -- the strings are about 3/8 inch off the fret board. Of course, I can alter the bridge and nut to get the strings lower, but just wanted a rule of thumb to shoot for in adjusting bridge and nut next time around.

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• If slide is your thing, string height is not a concern.  Seasick Steve plays a pair of Morris Minor Hubcaps fastened to a broom stick.

You Can't Teach an Old Dog New Tricks

If you are fretting one, it needs to be low enough not to bend every note sharp when fretted and high enough to still use a slide without running into the frets and or being flat realtive to your fretted notes.  That will depend on your technique and touch.  I also adjust up as high as I can get away with to get more room for a pickup, without cutting holes in the lid.

018-1.jpg

• I do a fret dress, then use a half pencil (sanded flat lengthwise) set on the frets to scribe a line on the nut. Then I sand the nut to the line and cut the string slots. Then I adjust the bridge height, and make sure the neck has some relief. If needed, the fret slot width can be adjusted to let string tension put relief into the neck.
  • Here is that video Chickenbone John did, super great.

• Wonderful clip. Thanks Josh, and thanks Doughboy.

• I'm trying to find the video but Chickenbone John here on the forums has a great video about this subject.

• Thanks Josh. I'll have a look as well ...

This reply was deleted.