The "Man O' War" is nearly complete. I'm finishing the bridge and saddle and then it just needs some minor adjustments and we're there. Due to the length of the box the distance from the tailpiece to the bridge is long and so the string angle is pretty shallow. Any suggestion on how to increase this angle, given the current positioning? The box is 6"x15"x1.5" and scale length is 25.5".

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• with a little creativity, your string tree could have an arm on it that varies how much it holds down the strings, and wala! Tremelo!!!

• Keep in mind that the neck angle of these instruments projects to a high bridge that is a lot closer to the tail. This allows for more domward pressure adjustment.
    Cheers Taff
  • Banjo's and Mandolins have a screw in the tail piece to pull it down closer to the face to tighten the break angle or jack it up to lessen the break angle.

• Hadn't thought of that. I'm going to consider that.

• Hi again, I must have too much time on my hands, well waiting for glue to dry really.

I just thought of a way I have gotten around problems like this in the past. Remove the beautiful fingerboard [saw it in another post] and shim under it. Use either a flat shim or a tapered wedge shaped one if thickness is a concern to get the projection to the saddle you need.

You certainly got a lot of options now.

Cheers Taff

• Thanks. I've heard lots of clever solutions in this thread.

• A cool design change would be to drill 3 small holes in your soundboard that the strings could feed through from your bridge but not touch the soundboard and feed back through to where you put your tailpeice. It would be hard to change strings on it in the future but might look really cool.

That's hard to envision and might be hard to achieve.. 

Here's a head that I've built recently that you might get what I'm talking about from seeing.. 

306567231?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

Just feed the strings through the holes to the tail..

306569055?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

• The string tree is going to be the solution on this one - easy, inexpensive and will not hurt the look.

• Probably the best solution is to reset the neck at a (significantly) greater pitch (angle) this will entail making a replacement (taller) bridge. Best
    • Considering that on future builds.

This reply was deleted.