[IMG]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8184/8131664223_60e8a17c22_b.jpg[/IMG]

This is my new gitfiddle - thanks much Darren!

I need to figure out how to attach a strap to it - can you show me how you did it?

[IMG]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8055/8131664301_efc0062de7_b.jpg[/IMG]

This is my son Jesse (the King) - needs a strap!

-

60750_4403077668437_2076169575_n.jpg

581539_500461479979148_1311767321_n.jpg

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I generally use 2 small eye bolts and a boot lace. I tie down the one end of the boot lace to the eye bolt on the tail block, and then run the other end through the eye bolt on the neck (near the nut) and then tie this end around the strap (boot lace) with a couple of simple slip knots so the length of the strap can be easily adjusted.

-Rand.

• Screw in closed hooks / hoops, $2 for a couple dozen..

656951FB-E14F-4ADE-94D2-AA20E7F6FAE8-901-000001F9852CEBDC.jpg

snap-hook thingys, $2 for 3..
    old belts, $2 at junk shop, ladies belts are best for the cowboy bon jovi shite ;)

4CEA4A66-365B-4814-A1A8-222F3D149162-901-000001F9A13BF0A0.jpg
    • OK, I like that.

• think outside the  box and build a stand instead  ;-)

• I used a leather boot lace for my first build. I made a triangular lug out of 18ga steel wire for the tail and tied the other end around the head, between the tuners. It fits the (low) level of sophistication of the instrument quite well, I think. (Photos in my gallery.)

• I agree with the advice attaching to the end of the neck as opposed to the left side of the body. I did that on my first one and it didnt work. I like these two materials for straps, duct tape and string or the webbing for lawn chairs. both have that great homemade feel.  —Brendan

• Great - thanks much all.

• That is a beautiful guitar from one of the top few finest builders and a good guy, Darren Brown.  So, you may want to use something pretty and nice, like leather and or a store bought strap.   My fave mainstream seller is Musician's Friend.  

On the the other hand, for my own rustic, half assed builds - I like anything BUT store bought.   Black rope.   Multi colored rope.   Old industrial leather.   A bit of leather.   A strip of old blue jeans ( or genes).   Electrical cord is a good idea.  Umbilical cord is hard to find.   The truth is, anything goes and you can change it later.  I like to use a small eye bolt on the box and go around the peg head on the top.   I often use old shoe string for those two connections.

Good wishes. 

• Those screws look so huge for the thin cigar box wood to me - is it ok to use those or do you find a shorter one?

The felt washer is a great idea as well.

Skeesix, I think you're right about attaching the one end to the headstock for the weight/balance issue, good call.

Thanks much...

-

• Hey Vince, the screws are fine size wise. I just make sure and install some 3/4" pine in the box where the buttons are going to be attached as the box itself will not support the pressure. I usually attach the one on the neck to the heel portion as far up the neck as looks good. As far as the strap I use old or vintage straps or like John I make something outta nothin'. I use some old leather horse tack for a lot of my straps, you can buy it at auctions for next to nothing.

This reply was deleted.