I'm done with building my CBG now it's on to playing it.  From the pic you can see where I put the strap button.  Bad thing about that location is that the guitar isn't balanced.  As soon as you let go the neck falls down.  I've seen some who just tie a string about the headstock for the strap.  Has anyone tried to install a strap button on the back of the headstock?  Will that work?

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• So Paul, what did you end up doing?

• I haven’t done anything, been busy.  Got a new puppy last week so I haven’t had much time.

• Just my 2 cents here, but your button placement is where I like them. I really hate straps attached to the headstock, I feel as though the neck flexes slightly when playing. When the button is on the upper bout (like you did) the guitar will be neck heavy, but I can deal with that. Just my opinion, YMMV.

• I put the button on the heel and seems to work fine.

• Why not just add a bit of weight inside the box to balance it. It shouldn't change the amplified sound very much. 

• A strap button on the back of the headstock not only won't look good, but will probably cause your git to flop forward, how about this....

was done on a martin, and how it might look on yours, use a leather strap close to the color of your headstock

306678147?profile=original

306678309?profile=original

• Ok, thats definitely a good idea, I will try to find something I can use for that.  Thanks for the help.

• I know your pain. I am thinking of adding a wood piece to the front of the box to extend it far enough to achieve balance.

• I don’t want to have a shoe lace around the headstock because I have the cigar band super glued to the headstock and it looks great and I don’t want to tear it up.  That’s why I was thinking about a strap button on the back of the headstock.

• when you buy a strap from a commercial shop, they often come with a shoe-lace to tie around the headstock (under the strings between the nut and the tuners) for attaching the strap up there.

This reply was deleted.