Last Tues. the 18 we had some high winds come threw. A large portion of the Box Elder next to the house came down. Folks came by today to give me an estimate. Going to have five trees removed. A row of bushes and a large brush pile removed. Still have plenty of shade in the yard. Just getting rid of the trees that are dead, dying or are a danger to the house.  It'll cost just shy of 2K. A LOT cheaper than I thought it would be.

Going to replant in two of the empty spaces.  Not sure with what yet. Nothing ornamental. Looking for native shade trees. 

IMG_1256.JPG

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• All the dead or dying trees are down. Man the yard looks different. Really happy with the results. I'll be drilling holes int he trunks soon to encourage rotting. 

Going to start a hunt for some hard wood with good fall color. That's one thing this street really doesn't have. Mostly Hard Maple, Box Elder, Ash and Sweet Gum. All browns and a bit of yellow in the fall. Probably go with something that will mature on the short side between the two houses. Ornamental perhaps. Got lots of time to think about it. 

• Oh, saw the pic.  Glad it was not worse.   My life experience is to keep those trees a bit further from the house!   I say this as a blue spruce in the front yard is starting to worry me every hard wind storm.  

• Judging from just how much of this tree keep hitting the ground Box Elders are to soft to be trees too. :)

• Rat that Ash would be good CBG material, but the Box Elder is too soft for necks.

• Gary, I like maples. Great shade. Plus their downed limbs are good for BBQing. 

Ron, have both that large Box Elder AND a huge Ash tree that have to come down. Lots of good wood. I've already told the company they can have the wood. 

• Was gonna say, is any of the box elder salvageable for dimensioning into neck or body blanks?
  • Looks like it could have been so much worse. Plant some hard maples, make great necks in the future.

This reply was deleted.