Seems like (for me) there's a learning curve when it comes to finishing a neck. So far I've tried minwax stain in the past and now just tried formsbys (high gloss). The formbys has left a sticky feeling. I realize your suppose to coat several times but this is already sticky.. I read somewhere sanding after 1 coat not advisable as your just removing what you just oiled /varnished.... Which brings me to another subject ...is this real tung oil or a combination of tung oil and varnish...I think it's the latter One thing about fretted necks is if you finish them after you fret the neck it's extremely hard to sand if you run into problems such as I ... So a few questions please 1. How do I make the formbys not sticky or should I remove it or sand it or steel wool it? 2. Next time should I finish a neck before fretting?

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I am currently using either Minwax wipe on poly or old school golden shellac flakes dissolved in methylated spirits. When done to a higher standard this is also known as French polish. I also soak my bridges in shellac which hardens them up a bit. The meths based shellac also dries pretty damn quick, which is good as my attention span, Oh look shiny!

In an odd bit of nanny stateism meths in Australia is >95% ethanol <0.5% bittering agent and 0% methanol. Apparently the government thought it excessive to condemn people to permanent brain damage, blindness and death just for dodging alcohol taxes. Don't think them too kind as the other use for methanol is to turn vegetable oil into biodiesel and the government loves its fuel taxes.

• Lol, we call it Denatured Alcohol in the states... I guess the methanol changes the drinkable nature of the stuff.  But at $14 US per gallon, I can buy a 750ml tolerable vodka for $10

• Which mineral spirits do you use? The odorless kind?
    • That carp is worthless. Get the real stuff... The stuff that causes dain brammage works best.
    • Where do I get it? I looked Home Depot /lowes etc
    • It's also called Paint Thinner...  Worst case, Naptha is ok, too.

It SHOULD work, no guarantees.

• Dude...4 days...shouldn't be sticky at all!!!

Either you've had 100% humidity the whole time or you need to try what John Sawyer suggested. If it isn't dry by now anything you add will intensify the tackiness.

A wipe down with mineral spirits won't take all the finish off but it will remove the gummy crap. Once that dries you can decide if you need to re-coat...with a thin layer of finish.

• I forgot to mention it is dry ...very light sandpaper maybe now ...or a wax? It's pretty smooth just could be a little more...
    • Looks good, but it looks like you put a heavy coat on it.   Oil finishes don't dry, they cure/oxidize.  The oils form natural polymers, but absorb Oxygen in the process.  Which is why thick layers get sticky.   Even boiled linseed oil cures in a day, especially in warm weather.  Oil blends (Danish oil, Tung oil) should do even better...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drying_oil

• Here's the shine. Not too sticky anymore

image.jpg

This reply was deleted.