Hello everyone. I have not seen this tried often, but I am new so forgive me if the same thing has been tried before. I am more comfortable working with metal than wood so I did not want to go through a bunch of work to reinforce the wood in the box to make it strong enough so I opted for this stick on box design (I hope that is the proper term). I used a stainless steel dog bowl for the resonator, but left it right side up and trimmed away the excess part of the bowl. I made the bridge height totally adjustable so I could experiment with string height. I attached a piezo buzzer for a pickup to the bottom of the bowl. This was my third build and first resonator and I really like the sound I get from it with or without an amp. I can't play worth a damn or I would post a video for a sound demo.

-Ed

Ed's first resonator CBG

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• If you want to be fancy, it's "mountain dulcimer style"

• Awesomely cool backwoods sound on that build!

• Pretty and sounds nice too!

• Some of you wanted to hear what is sounded like, so I made this short example because as I said, I am not much of a player.

https://youtu.be/20gTuZY27Mc

• Sounds good.
    • That's got a nice soung to it. Good quality resonator.

• Very nice git! What's the neck made from? Or is it stained? I like the topside resonator and bridge arrangement on this. And I agree, it's power chords on a stick, knock a few out (please) so we can hear it rattle a little. :)

• Thanks Sean. The neck is red oak that I stained with Rust-oleum ebony.

• Too bad you don't like your playin, cause it sure would be great to hear that git. Nice work.

• If you heard my playing, you would feel differently :-) I am working hard to get better so maybe I can post something in the future.

This reply was deleted.