Started my first guitar today. I will post pics of my progress along the way. hopefully I wont embarrass myself too much.

The photo shows the parts to the box that I cut with my laser cutter today. (I agree that not using a real cigar box kinda takes away from the spirit of CBGs)... but here I go.

My first will be an acoustic, 3 string, fretless unit.  I haven't decided the scale yet... but probably 25.5.

The box has cigar box design that I designed myself (there is no such thing as Bone Daddy Stogies). The box will measure 11 x 8 x 3.

Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated!!!

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Oh I wish I had my own laser!!  I have access to one within 10min of me though, but I have to pay for the work.  Poo!  As for your CBG not being a cigar box, hey, it's in the CBG style and genre!  My first that I just finished was a letter stencil box I inherited.  I build furniture, so my inclination is to make CBG STYLE guitars as well.  Cigar box SIZED guitars using the same parts and such.  I would rather make the box myself out of fancy scrap wood I have laying around, like bookmatched curly maple left over from a big cabinet or whatnot.  My next one is going to be fretless I think.  25.5" scale again probably.  This is so freaking fun it's silly.  Especially plugging it in and using a slide!!!  I love your design.  Well done.

• Hey Christopher:

Thanks for the kind words. I saw the pics of your letter stencil box guitar.  It looks great!!!  You are correct... this stuff is freaking fun!!!

• Lookin' great!
    The laser cutter is toooo cool.
  • This is the assembled lower box except for the top...

306476967?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

This is the fret bar being engraved/cut on the laser cutter...

306478061?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

Finished fret bar using the fret spacing for a 25.5 scale...

306479016?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

This is the assembled box and fret bar. The dark stained wood in the background will be the color of the finished guitar...

306479749?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

• As I look at it again, it looks like you are planning a large heel on the neck... Just FYI: a solid 1x2 neck dado'd to just clear the top of the box (I do about 3/8") that runs the full length of the box will hold just fine.  Any additional heel really stiffens it up.

From the box bits, it looks like you're not doing a neck-through, but a neck to the end of the box...  Are you planning a tailpiece, or mounting the strings to the neck?

Here is how I do it... but a tailpiece works just fine, too..

306479174?profile=original

If you go this route, make sure your string mounts are protected (pop rivets work well), and are 1.5" or more from your bridge... if you get it too close, it's a pain...

• John... you are correct.  I will not run the neck all the way through the body... and yes it will have a rather large heel. I have not yet completely decided on how I will mount the strings.  I know I must decide very soon before I build much more.  I am considering some type of hinged tailpiece... or the Mandolin/CBG Tailpiece.  I am going to glue all components of the box together so there will be no way to open it.  So I wont be running the strings through the top of the box. Since this will be an acoustic only instrument I am hoping that will be OK.

I like your Cohiba guitar.  What did you use for the bridge and nut?

• Everything I build assumes the box is not strong enough to hold up to 75lbs of pull, over time. So I almost always build neck-through, or neck to end... That way the box is not part of the overall structural components. In the cohiba, the neck goes to the end of the Box, the neck is glued to the top.
  • You might want to think abut some reinforcements on the inside, but it looks like an A+ so far!  

Here's one I did with a particularly thin box. 

306478946?profile=original

306479783?profile=original

306480892?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

306482177?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

• I found that JFR box worked real well with the neck glued to the top, and glued closed... sounds wonderful!

• I'll have to try it if I find another JFR box. Thanks for the tip! 

This reply was deleted.