Hey Everyone,  Its melting here in Chicago and I am getting the itch to get moving on a Cigar Box Guitar. I have been searching and learning lately and have found Kurt Schoen Guitars. Well, I just love them and really would love to know what the resonator covers are made from. I don't know if they are custom or repurposed materials. Any how, I'm wondering what the metal is,, and wonder how to do this . , I thank you all for your time . 

Tim

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I must admit that they do are nice.

Now I'm hesitating between strainers or gold panning equipment that was punched.

But it could very well be vintage reso covers...

EDIT: I just found the answer

https://vimeo.com/93214592

Enjoy!

• Hey Francois! I can't believe you found that, Great job my friend. It's funny, I am an aircraft mechanic by trade and makes a lot of sense now where he also gets his metal working skill. I have figured his metal work is hand done. Thanks for reaching out and helping me. Thank you. 

Tim

• No problem!

I too was surprised to hear that he worked for Learjet.

My dad worked for both Pratt & Whitney and Rolls-Royce, so aircraft talk is pretty common in the house.

As for the reso cover, I believe he uses an industrial hole punch. That is the only way that I know of that makes perfectly round holes of that size. And when you look closely at the pictures on his website, I think we can sometimes see a raised edge around the holes. I don't think a step-drill would produce that.

Also, he probably anneals the metal before forcing it to shape. This would explain the patina we see on the covers. And since this part doesn't have any stress, he doesn't need to heat treat it to give it back its rigidity.

This reply was deleted.