Ran across the unfinished box and compared it to the varnished one I did about a year and a half ago, actually my first cbg.  I bought two of the same box in case I totally messed up the first one.  Anyway, just thought I'd share the results.  It was a matte spray varnish, 3 or 4 coats.  The varnish looks the same as it originally did when first applied.  It was the only thing done to the box, no stain was used.  It was interesting how much the sides of the box darkened.  Also the label is a just a little darker, and the varnish did not harden it.

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I like where it's going. Really looks better now than new. Thanks for posting comparison pictures. 

• Kigar, I really like Undercrown boxes. Buy all I can find, which hasn't been more than 4 or 5 over a couple of years. I've been using MinWax rattle can Poly finishes on most of my builds. Seems to hold up.

• I agree, they are great boxes.  Nice wood, cool label and logo too.  I have one other, a more cube shaped one.  I keep thinking I should do a matching guitar and amp with them.

• Absolutely! A matched set is perfect. Build 'em and post it.

• useful, thank you.

This reply was deleted.