I'm just about finished with my first guitar build and I'm planning my second. I spent about $75 for materials and parts on my first. On my second, I plan to build it very, very cheap. I'm looking to use a 2x4 stud. I hope to make it acoustic without any piezo. How do I determine how much space I'll need on the inside? I assume the more space I open the louder it will be? I actually like the idea of a quiet acoustic (lieder than playing an electric turned off but not so loud that people in the next room over can hear it).

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• What do you guys think of this idea (a combination of the two)? How about a pop-can reso? I don't know if this would be enough volume. The idea is to drill a hole in the middle of the board, down about 1". Then, insert the bottom 1" of an aluminum pop can. Drill a 1/4" hole in the bottom of that. There's my "reso".

I drew it up for your enjoyment.

306056400?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

• Should work and give at least a metallic sound. I did a bunch of Diddley Bows using cat food cans as resonators/bridge combo and they sounded pretty good. The larger the resonator the more sound it will make.

• I also like the routing idea. Getting a good box will be difficult with a router. I've considered using three 3" holes created with a paddle bit (overlapping). Then cover with thin piece with a smaller hole. Dunno if this would be enough. Dunno if the largish sides left over would make the effects unusable. Is one thin side enough?
    • You have a 3" paddle bit? Wow! Be careful!!

• Well, my biggest paddel bit is more like 2". It's a real wrist buster. I'd probably use a 2.5" hole saw. I just read that the standard US pop can is 2.5".

• I don't see why that would not work. As long as the "top" is thin enough to vibrate you should be good.

• A reso sounds interesting. What shapes and sizes are known to work? I'll have to read up on designs for these.
  • You could chisel or route out a hollow on the 2x4 and leave a thin soundboard. I did something similar on my build called Zen-O -Phone. I added a small cigar box but you could just cover the hole back up with some wood.http://www.cigarboxnation.com/photo/soundboard-1?context=album&...http://www.cigarboxnation.com/photo/flipside-1/prev?context=album&a...

• Favoured box sizes seem to be about 8" x 10" x 2 - 2 1/2 ". I have been using some 8" x 8" boxes and I am getting really good tone on a quiet guitar.  I also built a 9" x 12" x 2" box from scratch. They sound "Sweet" when played acoustically.

Just as important is the thickness of the top on bottom of the box. You are looking to be at about 1/8".

As for the 2" x 4" neck, I would splurge for a stick of 1x2 oak, or if on a real budget poplar.  If on even more of a budget, go around looking for discarded furniture or skids and re-saw one of the legs or the skid into .75" x 1.5" finished dimension. There was a thread on using softwood for a neck and some seemed to think it was OK and would hold.  The thing that gets forgotten is that part of the sound is from your neck as it vibrates.  I am guessing a lot of the bass is from the neck as the boxes are so small.  So a good resonating hardwood may pick you up some extra volume.

• dont  discount  wine   boxes  and  even    old   drawers      .  you  can   get  some  nice  deep  tone  with  them  ..  and   dont  discount      a reso  .  ;-)

This reply was deleted.