This has to be one of the coolest videos on the internet!  Hailing from the Kingdom of Lesotho in Africa, Sotho Sounds is a group of funky shepherds who play their own instruments.  (Yes, they have an album.  Yes, you can buy it here!) 

In this video, Sotho Sounds shows you, step-by-step how to build your own African gas can guitar.  Don't forget to burn the can first!!!

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I watched The Amazing Race TV Show this week and they were in Uruguay. One of the challenges was to collect certain objects from a landfill and piece together a musical instrument for a children's orchestra. The made Cello's from large metal buckets and already cut wooden necks and bridges.

• Imagine what they could do with a proper toolbox?

• I always bring this video up when I tell people about homemade stringed instruments. History is conserved in this. I am fascinated by the simplicity and pureness of the making of this guitar and the happiness it brings to them.

• Burn the can so you won't blow up! Fumes in the old can could be sparked into Boom! Great video. I want more African music videos.
  • Just shows, it's not the build but the rhythm of your soul.
    Thanks for sharing Shane.

• How ya gonna get that smokin hot lead tone without burnin' the can?

Actually I am speechless. No tools, great tunes.

We should all be ashamed of our perception of limitations, and encouraged by the presentation of what really matters. Play. Sing. Smile!

Loved it. thanks.

• I think the infectious thing was the smile on his face when he was playing.
    I would say his project was successful.
    Marvellous Stuff.
  • Fantastique! Loved the whole thing and that music at the end was something special. I'm gonna burn my router too when I burn my can and go back to a rock and a kitchen knife. Then again, I need some edge on their skill, and I STILL don't get close to their ability level.

• I should have burned the can first.306545376?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

This reply was deleted.