I've put piezos in several of my builds, all with good results. I decided to add a volume knob on my last one and the guitar sounds really bad when  plugged in. Thin and high, grainy. I think I messed up using old electrical wire I had lying around.. does the quality of the wire make a difference on sound? Just want some advice before digging back into it.

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• That looks great, I might give that a shot soon...

Big Guy Blues (Morgan) said:

Here's how I did finishing nail frets: http://www.cigarboxnation.com/photo/finishingnailfrets-1?context=user 

I bent the nails in to an "L" shape then tapped them into small holes I drilled along the fret board. I really like the way it turned out and works great.

Mike Izzo said:

I'm having trouble with frets that installed - they were fine for a while, but now they're trouble. I was considering pulling them all and using nails and this is the first build I've seen with them.  How are they to play?  What kind of nails did you use?

Paul Nelson said:

Thanks guys! Rand, I'm using oak for everything. I was concerned about the nail points too, but I dull them down just slightly before putting them on and it works just fine! I really like the way it looks, I probably get more complements on the frets than anything else! I'm considering going to fret wire, but I hate to give up the folksy appeal of the nails...
  • These are 1 1/2" brass nails, but I usually use just plain 1 1/2 6d finish nails. They play great! A little big, kinda like playing with super jumbo frets, but I like them. Just be sure to dull them down a little first, it's hard to after they are glues in.

Mike Izzo said:

I'm having trouble with frets that installed - they were fine for a while, but now they're trouble. I was considering pulling them all and using nails and this is the first build I've seen with them.  How are they to play?  What kind of nails did you use?

Paul Nelson said:

Thanks guys! Rand, I'm using oak for everything. I was concerned about the nail points too, but I dull them down just slightly before putting them on and it works just fine! I really like the way it looks, I probably get more complements on the frets than anything else! I'm considering going to fret wire, but I hate to give up the folksy appeal of the nails...
  • Great idea - thanks!

Tim Agapie said:
    I find the wire hangers work great!
  • Here's how I did finishing nail frets: http://www.cigarboxnation.com/photo/finishingnailfrets-1?context=user 

I bent the nails in to an "L" shape then tapped them into small holes I drilled along the fret board. I really like the way it turned out and works great.

Mike Izzo said:

Paul Nelson said:

• I find the wire hangers work great!
  • I'm having trouble with frets that installed - they were fine for a while, but now they're trouble. I was considering pulling them all and using nails and this is the first build I've seen with them.  How are they to play?  What kind of nails did you use?

Paul Nelson said:

• Thanks for that!  I will have to try that sometime.  I think using things you have or can find really adds to building and makes it fun.
  • Just regular super glue, seems to work pretty well. They occasionally pop out, but its easy to fix them. When I cut the slot, I make it just deep enough for the nail to sit inside but still touch the valley of the slot, so that the glue has maximum surface to grab the nail.

A Russell said:
    Looks great!  If you don't mind me asking, what type of glue do you use to keep the nail frets in place?
  • I have tried toothpicks and more recently tried wire hangers... they work pretty good.
  • Looks great!  If you don't mind me asking, what type of glue do you use to keep the nail frets in place?
This reply was deleted.