Sound Holes in Tins

For my next build I thought i'd use a old biscuit tin , i'm going to use the base as the top as I seems to have more of a ring to it than the tin lid , i'm not to sure about cutting holes in the top for sound holes will I loose the nice ring that the base has ? , any thoughts will be a great help , thanks .

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Those rail fittings came from B&Q

•  Thanks guys for all your comments , I've mocked it up with a tempory neck and strung it up i'll put a piezo in today and try it out ,

The only thing now is as it's a old tin there is quite a bit of flex in the top and base , it's a through neck with the neck touching the top a 1in either end and  1/2in were the saddle sits  , so the next question will be bracing the tin , it's 9in x 9in x 2/12in , any pointers on bracing would be a great help ,

Where can I buy the wardrobe hanging rail fittings ? I can only find the ones with the screw holes in .

• try your plumbing merchant. ask for 22mm pipe support sleeves,might be what you need..

• It sounds like you have it so the neck will carry all the load and the tin is just a resonator.  I wouldn't brace the tin at all or you will dampen the sound.

• On this Guinness box the sound holes are cut with a hole saw then a brass trim epoxied in. The trim came from the support for a wardrobe hanging rail306146201?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024  

• In my cookie tin ukes, I drill the sound holes in the sides with a step drill out to about 1/2 inch.  Usually 3 on top and bottom.  Lets out the good tin sound.

• I didn't cut sound holes in the ukes I made out of lunch pails.  I think the lid projects a lot of sound and the ukes are pretty loud.  I attached the bridge to the lid with no tailpiece since the nylon strings don't produce as much tension.

For a guitar with a tailpiece or neck through, I don't know how different the results would be.  I would be tempted to leave off the sound holes and play for a bit.  If you aren't happy with the tone or volume, then cut.  I also like to bias the bridge farther toward the rear of the tin compared with bridge placement on a wood cigar box.

You could also make louvered sound holes like on the top of a BBQ grill so you could open and close as you wish.

This reply was deleted.