When you use grommets, how do you attach them? Are the set with a grommet tool or glued? If they are glued, what type of glue do you use? Thanks in advance, this is the first question of many! I'm new to cigar box guitar world, but can't wait to get started. I have a million ideas in my head!

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I've always used 2 part epoxy to glue them on, but it looks like I could just use super glue.

• If you use superglue, go find a product at a hobby store called ZIP Kicker. It causes CA/superglues to set in a second. Oh, and buy medium CA.. it's cheaper than the tiny bottles at the store...

And yes, I use CA/superglue for my grommets...

I hold my grommet in place and drip superglue into the gap from the bottom. A quick spray of zip kicker and done. Baking soda works, too. a sprinkle in the glue causes it to firm up. That's a great way to reinforce the corner of an iffy box.
  • Don't bother with grommets, unless you just like the look. Just carefully sand the soundhole edge smooth. Most acoustic gits, while they have a pretty surround of plastic, wood, or abalone, usually just have a smooth sanded soundhole edge. No metal (unless you're building a resonator)...
  • If the top is thin enough I use both halves of the grommet and the setting tool.  If its thicker I use just half and superglue it in place.

This reply was deleted.