is it the pickups that vary with buzzing or is it my solder connection? I have 3 different pickups. all have been encased in a bottle cap with hot glue. All have a connection but 2 of them are really buzzing and take more gain from the amp ..same settings. 1 piezo is perfect no buzzing (happens to be on a cookie tin)...the other 2 that are buzzing are cigar box guitars.I also put glue on the 1/4 inch jack connections on all 3. wondering what it is thats different about the 2 that buzz? thank you.

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Ok i will....and pretty sure that made all the difference this time. The glue threw me off and made it hard to troubleshoot after the fact. Won't be doing that again until I'm sure I got the soldering down. Thank you Jim ..very much appreciated!- Jon
  • Just tin the wires and hook them to stay put while soldering, its very important the wires do not move while cooling.

• Originally i thought I had tined the wires on the 1/4 jack side more thoughly when soldering but hadn't . I do think that was the problem. Seems way better now. Unfortunately the first few piezos I also applied hot glue in haste after soldering...not sure i can salvage.. Still learning. Sounds clean now. Do you tighten wires on the jack and also solder... both or just one? Thanks.
    • Yes I agree it was the soldering..but do you wrap the wires also on the jack..through the holes?
  • Your still not getting it. Its your soldering job and your soldering only.

• Yes, your are correct! The 1/4 jack soldering was a bit deceptive for me because of the prefabricated holes and easy wire wrapping ability on the actual jack .....seemingly easier but not. For anyone doing this for the first time...a very good tin of the wires while attaching the wires to the 1/4 inch jack paramount. .attention must be given to not only the piezo disc side connections as shown in videos. You might already know this as explained by others here. Thanks for bearing with my replies. Thanks to everyone.
  • Your cold solder connection is acting as an antenna, the tin is working as a shield. Work on your soldering.

• somehow the tin can guitar conducts some sort of grounding as opposed to the wooden cigar boxes? I've checked all three pickups several times. each piezo pickup works perfectly in the tin can cbg. Can anyone tell me or guide me in the right direction about why this is happening? if it was a cold solder the piezos would not work in the tin can perfectly i'd think. is there a wire i can add or use something other than my finger at the cord where it meets the 1/4 jack to make the hum stop. there's no hum at all when each piezo is in the tin can...thank you and sorry for so many replies here..im just stumped

• well its gotta be something related to the tin vs wood....this is really odd. all the piezos work in the tin...

• OK 2 Things. The tin had the washer and nut on the outside of the can. Then i tried the cigarboxguitar noisy piezo in the tin and it worked almost 100% fine. I then touched the cord while playing on the outside of the 1/4 jack where the jack and cord meet (cord is 100% good). It's sounded perfect until i let go. So what is it a grounding issue? if so how can I fix this please.
    So it works in the tin but not the woodbox?

This reply was deleted.