Here's what I've come up with.

Notice how I put a nail through the "ball" at the end. I guess most people just drill through the wood and let the ball stop it, but notice how one of the ball is tiny, it was pulling through the wood! When I went to fix that I also put the grommet in, because, well, shiny!

The nail would never pull through with a drilled hole, but it looks like there is a real danger of that above. I'd also want to file down the nail points so it doesn't catch clothing, but even then, they would probably be annoying.

What's a good solution to the problem I made for myself since I wanted more shiny?

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Here was my nickel fix...

306664204?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

That's the good news.

I keep on breaking strings so I'm going to put this aside for now, give up on the eye-bolts tuners and get some real tuners in.

But thanks for all the good ideas!

• Hi, I would threadle the strings through small 5/32" washers, they will sit flush with the underside of the top. See my post Tailpiece tip, the photo with the two arrows in it.

As a rule a hardwood "plate is put under the bridge area with a pin bridge, called a bridge plate, to protect the softer top wood. 

Taff

• use a pop rivet cap ( inserted) in wood  as a stopper .( also works on the top side  of guitar to stop string from cheese cutting into the wood )  semi shiny too. 

306663752?profile=original

or..

slip on a small nut .

ps . slipping  a ball end on a nail makes a great roller  bridge also .

(for you whammy   monkeys out there ) ;-)

• The pop rivets are a good idea. I have used threaded inserts for string ferrels in the furniture hardware area of the hardware aisle at Lowe's. 

• you can get pushbike spoke nuts for cents, come in many colours and polished metal finishes

• You could screw on a metal plate with holes in it for the strings.

• I like that idea, plus I can use found metal scraps. It would obscure the grommet though..., I'll be clever. Thanks!

• I was thinking lose the grommets altogether in favor of a very shiny metal plate.

I also motion that henceforth shiny metal things used to cover up mistakes be known as opps-bling.

• Don't forget to shine the plate.  : )

This reply was deleted.