Aloha everyone! I am finishing two necks and decided to try a different finish after about a dozen builds. I used Minwax clear lacquer spray with a semi-gloss finish.  I used about 6 very light coats on the first neck and find that the nice, smooth neck now feels slightly rough. Not terrible, but not smooth. Should I use steel wool on the finish, add more coats of lacquer, or?

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I also grab a full sheet of sandpaper and 'shoeshine' sand the back of the neck using finer and finer paper. Turns it into glass texture

• Hey Michael. Yes actually steel wool it a couple times between thin coats use 0000 steel last time should leave a almost glass like finish. Good luck
  • Finish coats always retain some fingerprint of the method used to apply it, brush strokes, aerosolized micro-beads settling on the wood, dust from the air, etc.  polishing the cured finish cuts it smooth, ultra-fine grit sandpaper or steel wool usually do the trick.

like the final polishing of a glass lens after grinding the shape.

• Nice looking build. The advice given is all good. You can use fine sandpaper (400 wet) to also level the coats and eliminate any raised grain. Looking forward to seeing the finished product!
  • Dampen with water. Leave to dry. Sand.. Repeat.. Repeat.. Repeat. Add first coat.. Sand with fine sandpaper wipe down. Add second coat. Add third..

I use boiled linseed..

Wetting brings out the stray woodgrain. So does finishing.

What to avoid.. Usually a shiny coat at the back of the neck of a guitar leaves it sticky.. You want it to be slippery..

Trial and error.. It worked for me :)

• Thanks. I'm going to try this on a future build.

• I happened to have a brown paper bag collecting trash, took a piece and rubbed the neck - It is smooth as a baby's ...! Here are a couple of pics of the neck, a laminate of oak and mahogany, with a mango fretboard.

LaminateNeck1891a.jpg

LaminateNeck1892a.jpg

LaminateNeck1894a.jpg

• You can also go over it with a brown paper bag. Works like very fine sandpaper or steel wool.

• I'm going to try that. Thanks.

This reply was deleted.