Just doing my first fretted instrument. Cut the slots in a poplar fretboard, and I noticed that one of the slots is off by about a millimeter. I’m thinking it will be a few cents flat. Should I just proceed and live with it, or cut another one?

I tend to be pretty fussy about the details...wondering how fussy I should be here. Thanks.

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I put this together and put a couple strings on it. Fun instrument, and sounds nice.

Regarding the tuning, the flexing of the can is much more of an issue than sloppy fret placement. I am going to tweak the design a bit to stiffen the can. In the meantime, I can manipulate the pitch of individual notes and add vibrato by pushing on the can a bit with my picking hand.

I temporarily taped a flat pickup in front of the can, and that sounded really good. I'll have to mount it permanently.

2string_canjo.jpg

• I'm getting ready to fret this and attach a tobacco tin. I'm pretty happy with the way this neck and headlock are working out, and I am looking forward to stringing this up.

(I'm having trouble including a photo in this post...never uploads and then I get an error message, so I am attaching it.)

IMG_1921.JPG

• "headstock" not "headlock"...must have been spell corrected

• The HTML Editor option seems to work fine

• ......it worked. Thanks for that.
    Taff

• Hi, I tried HTML editor and.....

• Or switch to the HTML editor... and it works fine.

• Hi Tom, yes I worked that out a month ago. I may have missed it but has there been a notice posted about the problem and how to get around it, as you and others have suggested, by the administrators? If so I must have missed it. It may worth having some thing posted permanently so as to guide newcomers.

Taff

• With the current glitch on CBN you need to type your posting, then, before posting it, highlight it and right click and select copy.

When you post your item, if it shows up blank, click on "edit" then paste your original posting in place then hit Save. That will get your posting up and visible.

This reply was deleted.