Looking to buy a slide for a 4 string CBG. Not sure if I will be using it on pinky or ring finger. I'll probably have to get a few to try out. Thinking either glass, ceramic, bone or ??? other than metal. Not sure if I should get a short/stubby one or not. Anyways any suggestions? There's no guitar shop near where I live so I gotta shoot in the dark here. 

Views: 749

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Really the only way to know what you like is to start with one and play for a wile. Because I was on an electric guitar with very low action I ended up liking Clayton's thin wall glass slides. But it took a few slides to find the one worked for me. Those Planet Waves are great slides. Great place to start your journey. 

Call me crazy [or maybe cheap...] but I don't like the idea of playing my DIY instruments with store-bought slides. I make mine out of bottles or copper pipe or whatever else I can scrounge.

What sound do you want?  And maybe more importantly, what string gauge you using?

I got a dozen slides and I almost exclusively use the brass Dunlop.  Sounds gritty, fits my pinky. 

Copper pipe didn't really work for me.  

The bottleneck works well for me on a round radius neck (strat type),  it's thick for the heavy wound strings yet remains smooth on the unwound.  I don't have much luck with it on a flat fretboard due to the fluted end (I'm not a finesse guy).

The Coricidin bottle (and other thin glass slides) works best on the banjo or extra light string gauges.

The Joe Perry ceramic slide sounds good on the spider bridge dobro.  Again, thick but smooth.

I have tried Shane's stubby slides, but I can't get used to using my ring finger.

I use 13-56 strings, even electric.  I also substitute a 16 for the high e on my slide guitars.

Hope that helps some. YMMV

My CBG is still in the mail. I just was trying to think of all the other stuff I'll need and a slide was one of them. From what I herd most people prefer glass slides so I'm leaning that way. I suppose once I get some experience under my belt I can better ascertain the slide(s) I want.  

I got here late, but this is a discussion that interests me a lot.  Most likely, you will just have to jump in and try some and see what you like and don't like.  It is definitely a matter of personal preference. 

As for advice, one guy may tell you something and the next may tell you the opposite.  Here is my OH-pinion.

Bone:  too grabby - not 'slick enough'

Wood: the same.

Copper:  Grabby unless it is highly polished.

Sockets:  I like them, but they can be too heavy for some.

Brass:  My fave and they are indestructible.  I like a Dunlop tapered brass model 230

Ceramic:  Second favorite.  Slide nice and can be so beautiful- I have bunch from Dave Lynas and I have had others.  Big bummer when they break.

My advice: get one long enough to cover the strings and have some extra room.   Get a good fit and it is best to use Mr. Pinky or Mr. Ring.   Hold that slide lightly on the strings and right over the fret- keep the slide in motion if you can- just a little.  Often, there is not time for that.  Keep the slide perpendicular (straight up and down) to the neck.  Sit or stand up straight and use good guitar and body posture.  Drag you index finger on the strings above the slide to reduce unwanted noise.   Do this and in 5 weeks, months or years, you may be getting the hang of it.

I like the look of some of the ceramic slides guys here make and sell but without being able to try one I am reluctant to buy one. I like the cut off wine bottle neck the best so far, some are quite straight, the price is right  too.  Also tried sockets which were ok, and copper pipe which didn't fit my finger well.  Start with something cheap and easy, you can always build a collection over time. 

All those suggestions are pretty spot on but if you’re looking 2 check out ceramic, then go over 2 Dave Lynas’ page & have a look. 

You need a Lynas slide hands down the best in the nation .

Well I ordered one of Amazon for $10. Figure it give me a start and I'll be able to figure out what I want from there. 

For my first slides I went to the hardware store and tried copper pipe sections on my fingers to choose the size,  They usually sell them in 1.5 inch sections.  I also, bought a socket 3/4 inch maybe for a shorter one..  I still use the copper one

Hi,

I feel most comfortable with a slide for my third finger (the one before the pinky).

Eventually, I have found the best solution to be a Dunlop glass 2" x 1/8th.

I then made a hot trail of glue from a handicrafts glue gun to form a trail where my upper finger joint is. It is about half way down the glass slide

It takes a bit of trial and error to ensure the right amount  of glue trial to allow the finger joint to sit comfortably but for the slide to hold its position on the finger.

I tried it with a small medicine bottle, and it works fine, but the Dunlop gives the right weight.

Hope this helps, as it did for me.

So, did u get it yet? What’s it look like?

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 21. 11 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

CB Bass Guitar

Started by Mi Rankin in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Justin Stanchfield Jan 27. 5 Replies

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->