Slides

Finally starting to get the hang of the slide! I'm looking for just the right wine bottle to rob the neck from, but for now I'm using a chrome plated 19mm deep socket. A little on the heavy side I think. Something lighter would cause less sag in the lighter string. But it sounds pretty good on my "Deertrax" three string, with some delay and gain on my Micro cube. Real rocky and gritty....so much to learn !!!!

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I cut a piece of steel tubing off a beach umbrella and it's a pretty good slide. I round the ends with a rock. For maximum mojo, go dumpster diving to get the discarded beach umbrella. This is what it sounds like on my cookie tin guitar: Welcome To Bluesville.mp3 http://www.box.net/shared/irplholvhq

• always ready to help a fellow player :)

at start I bought a glass knife & after braking 3 bottle and wasting a lot of water I found a good tutorial on youtube

first you need get your hands on 4 things:

1- high quality mask with filters. its a bit expensive but otherwise you will breath glass dust and a lot!

2- goggels so glass dust wount get in your eyes.

3- power multi-tool for delicate work (its also called dremel) you can find it at home-dipot

4- a set of dimond cutting disks for the dremel. I bought them at ebay:

ebay

at last- the video:

youtube

have fun!!

this is an easy method

• Any chance of a tutorial on cutting glass? Those slides are way cool!

• Looking good!!!! I'm on the hunt still. Found one nice wine bottle so far . I just got home from knee surgery so I'll have lots of time to work on it.

tal bluver said:

hi  man

I started to expirement with some bottles

I'm using power multi tool to cut the glass

here some of the results:

305698051?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

from the right: wine bottle, regular slider, uzo bottle (greek drink)

305699935?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

this is a "stella artois" 1/3 beer bottle- its too large for a finger but its great for lap strumming.

305701011?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

• hi  man

I started to expirement with some bottles

I'm using power multi tool to cut the glass

here some of the results:

305698051?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

from the right: wine bottle, regular slider, uzo bottle (greek drink)

305699935?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

this is a "stella artois" 1/3 beer bottle- its too large for a finger but its great for lap strumming.

305701011?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

• The coolest slide I recall hearing of had to be a lady's high-heeled shoe tossed up on stage during a ZZ Top concert....
  • a hambone
  • Hi Keni,

I tried playing with the socket by itself before I cut it and I really found it to be too tip heavy. After cutting it, I found it to be about right. It is a heavier slide than my glass bottleneck slides, but I find it works great and the weight allows me to lighten up the pressure I use on the strings and let the slide do a lot of the work.

Brian Hunt.

• Good idea cutting the socket to lighten it a little bit. Would make a nice slide. I believe John Hammond uses a full socket. No disrepect to him, but personally I think he is way too sloppy and sounds like he playing with a brick. I don't mind a little dissonance, but the bulk of the playing should be it key. Enjoy.
    Brian Hunt said:

I use a 5/8 inch deep socket a lot for a slide, but I cut the heavy connection end off with my metal cutting band saw. This shortened it a little and lightened the weight a lot. Defiantly one of my favorite slides.

Brian Hunt.

• I use a 5/8 inch deep socket a lot for a slide, but I cut the heavy connection end off with my metal cutting band saw. This shortened it a little and lightened the weight a lot. Defiantly one of my favorite slides.

Brian Hunt.

This reply was deleted.