Sliders only.

Am I the only builder around who solely builds un-fretted, stringed instruments?  Many builders here on CBN (and elsewhere) make some truly beautiful looking and sounding CBG's.  Most, it seems, have moved onto more intricate builds: fully fretted, multiple pickups, etc.  I tried fretting once about seven years ago, and it was a disaster; I basically swore I would never attempt it again.  I do use magnetic pickups every so often, but I prefer rod and disk piezo's mainly because of the sound.  Honestly they are easier, too.

Now I know, I can certainly learn to fret a neck, I just do not see the need...at least for myself.  Even though I have sold and gifted quite a few fretless CBG's, I build them for me, for the sake of having a creative outlet.  I build them because I cannot not build them.  Same with playing CBG's, I play them for the creativity aspect.  There are plenty of fine builders out there I could direct a potential customer to for a badass custom build with all the bells and whistles.  Everyone of my builds have "errors or happy accidents", etc, but these errors do not affect the sound. Every git I build sounds good (at least to me) and raw; actually they sound awesome per my customers.  I do not ever want my gits sounding like anything, but a raw CBG.  That being said, I guess I will keep my builds Spartan, to the Athens of other builders.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Also, if you care to share: I am curious to know what motivates others to build CBG's, Dddley Bows, canjos, etc?  What is the draw for you?

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hey Ron, use the HTML Editor tab, the visual tab isn't visual. it's just there to confuse folks. Hahaha.
    Taff

• Hi Chance and Justin, you are welcome.
    Most of my CBGs have been built as slide guitars but fretted. I learned a long time ago that not all of my customers want to play slide. So, I fret my slide guitars so all I have to do is to change the setup for them, better than losing a sale or having to add frets.

I have a mate who has built four CB-style guitars and not fretted any of them, he asks me to do it, but he says he doesn't have the propper tools. I showed him the tools I started with, all adapted for the job.
    Taff

• Thanks Taffy for the tips on proper fretting!

• Hi, I find that the narrow flat fingerboard used in CBG-style instruments poses little to no challenges. If the "rules" are followed regarding fretting it is far easier than fretting a full-size with a radius and or binding on the fretboard.

If one is building multiple instruments, and moving them on to other players I feel I owe it to them to do the best job I can, and to do that I use the proper tools, materials, and methods for the job at hand.

A few tips: Use a proper fret saw
    use a dead blow hammer
    Have the neck or fretboard on a hard firm surface
    Fingerboard of a hardwood variety
    The neck and fingerboard are perfectly flat to start with
    Slots are the correct depth
    Flush-cutting end nippers save on filing work
    Black marker to mark tops of frets
    Flat bar [spirit level] with sandpaper attached to level frets
    A 3-corner file to re-radius the flattened frets or a proper crowning file
    Suitable wet and dry papers to final polish.
    I normally get away with doing the leveling etc, as good fretwork prior negates these steps.
    Give it a try on scrap [suitable wood.
    Taff ... HTML for replies

• Thanks for the tips! Much appreciated.

• I still consider myself a beginner and every build offers new challenges and solutions, but out of the builds I've done so far (I'm on #11 and #12) I have yet to build a fretted one that I'm totally happy with. All of them have been pretty good sliders, which is fine because that's what I love to play anyhow. Still, if for no other reason than the challenge of the thing, I'll keep building fretters until I get it right.

As everyone else has said, though, it's your ax so build it like you play it!

• I just re-read the Cigar Box Guitar Manifesto, and I am reassured in what I build. I am also reassured in what You build, as well.

Rock on brothers and sisters!

• Fretted, fretless, acoustic, electric, whatever floats your boat. They’re all good as long as we’re building & playing them like a good builder should. Don’t count yourself out after one failed attempt (reflect, research & refine your approach with practice & help from others) or scratch your head & watch some videos, I heard that actually works :)  Personally, I like em all, especially when builders are playing their own creations? Flatpup & Flatbucker style pickups are a super duper easy alternative to conventional Magnetic & Piezo pickups? You can stick em on with double-sided tape or hot glue & they don’t need a preamp, so you don’t need a battery or external power? And they don’t amplify every bump & scratch against the box, even if you ghost them under the lid? Whatever your passion may be, just keep building it, playing it & most importantly, have fun doing it… Cheers, good luck to all future builds my friends!!! :)

This reply was deleted.