Replies

• I'm going to encourage you to build a 6 stringer with the following suggestions:

Make it based on a "Classic" guitar, flat fret board, slightly wider string spacing, low tension nylon strings.  It will be less of a departure from what you already have built, and the low tension nylon strings put less than half the strain on the neck so you can skip the truss rod.

• 6 String CBG, depending on how you make them, they can be just like any guitar except the body is a Cigar Box, or anything else you can think to use. If I may suggest, use an old bolt on neck, a top loading bridge, a Piezo or two or a Mini Humbucker (Or a combo of the 2 if you like), some hardware and maybe something to strength the body, a length of hardwood or something and build something these bad boys.

PA102158.JPG

P9042721.JPG

• I arrive here late, but here is my 2 cents worth.  

Don't build a six unless you play well on one already.   For most of us, fewer strings are easier to play. 

It's very difficult to make a nice playing fretted 6 string neck and fretboad.   Do as  Cause did.   Find a used neck or buy one pre-made. 

• Yup, I've made a few 6 strings and on all but one used necks off of busted guitars. I don't really consider them as'homemade" as my other stuff since I didn't make the box, didn't make the neck, didn't make the electronics. I just figured out how to hook it all together. That being said they're still a lot more homey looking than a cheap factory git. Bottom line is my only reason for making them was because some friends are 6 string players and I wanted them to join in with the all homemade instrument band that I've put together.

• I think the gits with factory necks are a somewhat different category than 'home made'.

• Agreed. But we would have to extend that to all pre made necks. Including the ones I've bought at CBG fests from Delta Blues Guitars. And the pre made necks you can buy from GB Gitty.  I have a few fret boards from them. They are nice. There are more of us who would love to make our own. But don't have the skills it takes to fret a board. That's why pre made necks are so popular. They give people like me the chance to make something I'd want to play. 

• True, true.  I've bought some fretboards myself. 

• Doug, you mention that you play slide guitar in Vestopol tuning? In that I case I would suggest tuning your 4-string the same way, just minus two of the strings. Seeing as there are only three notes to begin with (D, A, F#) you can easily substitute anything played on the missing strings over to the ones you have left.

For example, anything played on the high D string will still work fine on any of the other D strings, just in a lower octave. Just think of it like you busted a couple of strings on your regular guitar!

Of course, which four of the strings to keep is up to you, but that's part of the fun - top/middle/bottom/other combination(!?).

Hope this helps.

KR

• Hey, King, thanks for the encouragement. And I can see it will be fun with 3 strings, experimenting with various tunings.

Sounds like a six-string CBG has to bee such a guitar-like construction that it's not really a CBG at all.  All the answers I'm getting help me understand that. And that it's a different kind of fun playing.

Doug

• I think  that  a  four  stringer is  an outstanding instrument design. You  can go with open  tuning as Wayfinder says or you can go with  standard tuning (the 1~4 strings of a  6 string) and  you  can even tune to  ukulele tuining (which is a cool tuning). A four  stringer is  amazingly flexible  in terms  of tuning.

That being said, I  have built several  six  stringers and  enjoy them  as  well.

306584611?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024The above six  stringer  is  a  joy to  play, but unless you  already play six  string, you will find it a  fairly steep  learning curve.  The four stringer may be a  less frustrating starting point  if  you take the  time  to  learn  just  how flexible it can be.

Either way will provide you with  a great musical experience. Good luck

If you click the "Post" tab above then the  "Groups"  link you will  find that  there is already  a six-string CBG forum. They can provide  you with a lot of  information.

This reply was deleted.